Baby Names

Marlena?

Think of as a middle. Or possibly a first. 

Re: Marlena?

• I like just Marlene
  • Not Marlene. But thanks :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I like it too.
    Anniversary
  • I like it. Have you seen the movie "Water for Elephants"? It's one of my favorites and Marlena is the name of Reese Witherspoon's character. Very pretty.

eta: And I like it as a FN.

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• I love Marlena!  I taught a girl named Marlaina who went by Lainie.  While I didn't care for that spelling, I liked the nickname (and I'm usually not a fan of nicknames!)  I think it is a pretty, normal name that works great as a first name!
  • I like it a lot! And I think it would be great as a first name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love Marlena. It's pretty and under used. I prefer it pronounced Mar-Lay-Nah.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• It's a really pretty name.

BFP #1 5.26.08 DD born 1.4.09
    BFP #2 3.11.12 m/c 3.26.12
    BFP #3 10.7.12 m/c 10.27.12
    BFP #4 2.24.13 ectopic MTX 3.13.13 Right tube removed 3.29.13
    BFP #5 5.27.13 DS born 1.22.14

BFP #6 4.14.16

Pregnancy Ticker

• This is my cousin's name.  I love it.  She is Marlena Ruth.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• LOVE!  But DH vetoed it.  I would pronounce Mar-lay-nah.
    Anniversary 
  • As I was looking through names I came across Marlena. It's a german combination of Mary and Magdalena. Which I think is perfect for us because my husbands mother is Mary and my mother is Magdalena. I always thought it was Mar-lay-na. I'm not an expert on baby name pronunciation that's just how I have heard it before :)
  • RamarkRamark member
    I do like it! But all I think when i hear it is Days of Our Lives!! If I didn't have that association then I'd love it :
  • I'm not sure how to pronounce it... Mar-lynn-uh? Mar-leen-uh?

I used to know a Marlayna. It's an unusual name but it fit her very well.  

• Oh just saw your reply about pronouncing Marlena as Marlayna and why you like the name. I think Marlena definitely looks more sophisticated than the Marlayna spelling, but to me I just ready it as Mar-lynn-a or Mar-lean-a. Lena/Lina on it's own is pronounced Lean-a.... and I guess I have only known a Marlayna do it didn't occur to me that they would be pronounced the same.

Either way I think Marlena is lovely however you pronounce it. Just be ready to correct it all the time! No big deal though 

• I think Days of our Lives, but I love it!
  • imageShellyjj:
    I think Days of our Lives, but I love it!
     This!
  • I don't mind correcting pronunciation although I think most people will get it. The name has been around for a while. My parents named me Raechel. Which throws people for a huge loop I've gotten everything from Ra-Shell to Reach-el. I don't hold it against them though :) They meant well. Dad wanted Rae and my mom wanted Rachel.... My mom still cringes when she hears people confused about my name. Doesn't bother me though.
  • I like it...is not a common name. Ive been thinking on using Milena myself
  • Love this name!  It sounds sophisticated to me.  I also think of the Wallflowers song but it's a good association.  I like the PP's suggestion of the nickname Lainey but find the potential for the nickname Marley to be a bummer.

so many different types of sparrows 30 rock         

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"