December 2011 Moms
Options

Toddler bed

Hey ladies,
What are your future plans for transitioning LO to the next bed? We just found out 2 will be here in January and I don't know if we should buy another convertible crib, use the same for the baby and get DD a toddler bed, twin bed on the ground with side rails? Just ideas. How long are they in a toddler bed before needing a twin? DD hasn't tried to climb out yet so I haven't put much thought into it.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Toddler bed

• Options
    I bought a 2nd crib but mine will be 17 months apart. When I do transition DD, I plan on doing a twin or full mattress on the floor for a while and skipping the toddler bed. Once she is older and can easily get in and out etc then I will put the mattress on a frame.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    We made ds's bed a toddler bed last week hoping it would help get him out of our bed. He climbs out.of.our queen with little problem so he may just transition right into it once the rail and.guard come.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

My kids are 21 months apart and we got a second crib.  It was nice to not have to worry about DD wandering around the house (or even her room).  However, she did start climbing out a month or so after DS transitioned from our room to his crib, so the second crib wasn't necessary, but I think DD transitioned to her toddler bed better on her own terms and I'm glad we didn't have to rush it.

Since we had the second crib, we converted DD's crib to a toddler bed.  A few months later we bought a twin bed because DD was sleeping on the floor with the dog instead of her bed; we got the twin so they could both fit.  If we didn't get the second crib, I would have transitioned DD directly to a twin bed.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageSmgrochowski:
    My kids are 21 months apart and we got a second crib. nbsp;It was nice to not have to worry about DD wandering around the house or even her room. nbsp;However, she did start climbing out a month or so after DS transitioned from our room to his crib, so the second crib wasn't necessary, but I think DD transitioned to her toddler bed better on her own terms and I'm glad we didn't have to rush it.Since we had the second crib, we converted DD's crib to a toddler bed. nbsp;A few months later we bought a twin bed because DD was sleeping on the floor with the dog instead of her bed; we got the twin so they could both fit. nbsp;If we didn't get the second crib, I would have transitioned DD directly to a twin bed.

Thank you! I think I am going to get a twin and maybe just start with a mattress. We will probably transition her on her 2nd birthday.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We were given a toddler bed for DD.  We started transitioning 2 weeks ago, she loves her new bedroom and will play on the bed, but has yet to sleep through in it.  She wakes up and screams bloody murder.  Sometimes at 3, sometimes 1, last night 11.  I just took her to her crib.  She needs her sleep and so do I.

This was DH's idea, I want to get another crib.  Mine will be 19 mos apart, I see no reason to rush her into a big girl bed (especially when the new baby will wake her and then I'll have 2 up at all hours of the night). 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Leap08Leap08 member

My girls are almost exactly 2 years apart. I didn't think it made sense to buy another crib, so we transitioned DD1 when she was about 20 months. I wanted her to be used to her big girl bed and room before DD2 was born. We got all new big girl stuff and talked about her new room a lot. She was so excited, and she did really, really well with the transition. We didn't really have any bedtime problems initially (naps were a different story - she wanted to play). She did start falling out of bed a lot though - sometimes 2-3 times a night. We finally moved her to a full sized bed, and that solved the problem. 

If I had to do it over again, I'd still move her at about 20 months, but I'd skip the toddler bed and just move her to a full. I think that's what we'll do with DD2. We'll probably move her before we start potty training. DD1 potty trained at 22 months (I really didn't want 2 in diapers), and I plan to train DD2 around the same age.     

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm having this exact issue. I think buying a toddler bed or a twin for DS will be the most practical thing, but I don't really like his crib that much (it has the changing table attached and is a p.i.a.) so I'd almost rather get a new crib.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We will be starting to transition DD into her toddler bed in September (she will be 21 months) but only because my mom, who watches her for us 3 days out of the week, will be having surgery and won't be able to pick up DD for a while.  We decided to help ease that, to transition her a little early.  Otherwise, I was planning on waiting until she was closer to 2.  We'll see how it goes. 
  • Options

With DD we transitioned her to a twin bed (with bed rails) a little after DS got home (around 19 months) - DS slept in a bassinet or rock n play next to my bed for 3 months.  We transitioned her mainly because she was climbing out of her crib every single night at bed time but it also didn't hurt that we had another LO and didn't need to buy 2 cribs!  She transitioned really well.  Loved her "big girl bed" and didn't climb out of it.  Still doesn't! 

However, DS is at that age now and hasn't shown any signs of wanting to climb out of his crib at all.  So he'll be in it for awhile.  However we will transition it to a bed once he's ready. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Not pregnant yet, but our intention is to move DD to a twin bed (no toddler bed) a few months before I'm due with #2.  She'll be over 2 by the time it happens.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"