September 2011 Moms

Toddler independence, or not

I know the "I can do it myself" attitude is a milestone for ~18 months. While L does attempt to do some things on her own (put on socks, zip up coat, etc), she is pretty content to let me help her after a minute or so, or to just let me do stuff for her altogether.  I don't know a lot of other people with young kids, but a coworker's daughter point blank refused help with ANYthing from the age of 14 months on. I was struck by the difference the other night when L was refusing to put her own food in her mouth at dinner and wanted me to spoon feed her! It just makes me wonder how much of it is personality vs maybe she hasn't quite come into that stage yet. 

Where are your LOs at with independence? What things do they insist on doing themselves or maybe refuse to do themselves that you know they are capable of? How quickly do they get frustrated when they can't do something and start asking mama to do it for them?

Re: Toddler independence, or not

• Emily is hit or miss with this.  Sometimes she refuses help with everything from putting her shoes on to feeding herself.  Other days she accepts help gladly. Or demands it even.  This has been the case for a few months. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • SusieBWSusieBW member
    T wants to do pretty much everything herself.  For most things, it'll go on for a while before she gets frustrated.  She gives up her shoes and lets us start zippers for her pretty easily, and I've yet to see her try a button, but snaps, buckles, her car seat, eating, etc. she'd prefer to do it all herself, and it usually takes a little while before she asks for help.  When she's really tired, she gets a little more lazy and wants more help.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageNCC74656:
    E tries to do everything without help first. If she wants help she will ask for help. If we try to help her and she doesn't want help or hasn't asked for help she gets mad.

Pretty much this

• imageNCC74656:
    E tries to do everything without help first. If she wants help she will ask for help. If we try to help her and she doesn't want help or hasn't asked for help she gets mad.

Same
  • The last few weeks, L has really been wanting to do some things herself, especially putting on her shoes and buckling her carseat.  It can get frustrating, especially when we're hurrying out the door.  Sometimes I have to just override her and do the things for her, which makes her mad.  With most other things though, she is fine with letting me do them for her.

• GVSU-04GVSU-04 member
    J tries to do a lot on his own, but won't refuse help when offered most of the time. He gets mad when I try helping brush his teeth and when we go for walks. He doesn't want to hold my hand. Any attempts result in him plopping down and pouting.
  • V wants to do things herself when it would be easier for me to help her, and she wants my help when it would be easier to do it herself.  Womp womp.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"