High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

birthing class:(

So my husband and I went to our childbirth class at the hospital. I have preeclampsia but my Dr. approved of me going even though I am on modified bed rest. I feel like they covered labor and discouraged epidural's...I know I am going to be induced and possible c section and felt like I shouldn't of even bothered going to the class. The other moms to be had "normal" pregnancies. They showed all these labor techniques and I probably will be flat on my back with an IV. I know I am just being over sensitive and my moods are up and down but I just wanted to leave the whole time. And I think it made me even more anxious about childbirth than I already was.

Re: birthing class:(

• Options

I'm sorry you are so down after the class.  If it makes you feel any better, I was one of those other women in my birthing class with a "normal" pregnancy when I was pregnant with my son.  Long story short, my delivery was not as smooth as they teach in the class and I ended up with an emergency c-section after 12 hours of labor.  Anything can happen, and I bet many of those women will end up in a situation they did not assume would happen.

not that I am trying to wish bad things to other people at all.  Just trying to point out that delivering a baby is complicated and anything can happen. 

Expecting twins! Put on strict bedrest at home after preterm labor at 22 weeks. Hospitalized at 22 weeks and again at 29 weeks. No more please!
  • Options
    I am kind of worried about that too, since I am looking at induction and/or csection.

I was thinking of saying something to the instructor before class, wondered if they might tone down some of the "natural" birth stuff.

I would love to have a natural birth. I guess it isn't in the cards for me.

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I actually walked out of birthing class when I took it because the lady who was doing the class was just weird and I didn't like her ( that was 13 years ago
  • Options

I was also very discouraged with my birthing class. The instructor (who claimed to be a nurse in the L&D dept) was wrong about SO MUCH. I figured GD would be more common, but the things the nurse told me about in-hospital procedure were just completely incorrect. My nurse in L&D actually laughed at some things she mentioned that I'd face.

Even though you'll have an IV, you don't have to be flat on your back the whole time. I don't understand the correlation, really. I had an IV and the monitors on at all times and I could move around, turn on my side, get up. I don't know where the misconception that an IV=stillness for mom in labor. I had my IV put in my hand (had been in previously for insulin adjustment and had the IV on the inside of my arm/back of elbow? and it was not comfortable so I knew to request it in my hand so I could move more easily) and it didn't bother me, even when the med student messed up her first try at putting it in.

ETA: I misread your original post and thought you didn't want an epi. If you do, ask for it! If you don't, then don't. The nurses I worked with really had no preference. The class said they don't like giving an epi before 5+ cm. That was a lie, I got mine at 4 since I thought my induction would be a long one. Turns out it wasn't and I delivered only 2 hours later. Don't let people bully you into thinking there is only one way for birth to go.

imageimage
  • Options

A pre-E induction does not equate c-section.  So don't fret about that.  There is still a huge chance you will deliver vaginally. 

You will probably never be flat on your back as it is bad for the baby but rather on either your left or right side or maybe sitting up.

Women get induced all of the time for a variety of reasons and many, many still have vaginal deliveries.

Sorry you were discouraged.  Just remember you get a baby no matter what happens to get there.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Options
    Yeah I just felt like the whole class focused on natural childbirth..water births...no drugs...(which is great if that's what you can do) and didn't really include info. about high risk pregnancies. And even though they may be having a smooth pregnancy things can change quickly... as I know. I learned some stuff from the class but def. not worth $90....
  • Options

You should definitely give them feedback then!!!  That's the only way they will make it better and more applicable to people like us.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Options
    I have vasa previa and can't deliver except for by c section. I took a normal childbirth class and the nurse educator apologized to me as so much of it was not applicable. Good tour of the hospital though.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• Options
    I could have written the exact same post (except instead of pre-e I'm dealing with a subchorionic hemorrhage/placental abruption that left me with placental insufficiency = IUGR and low fluid). I've been on bed rest nearly 6 months but my doctor wanted us to go to the hospital class. The instructor went around the room and had all the couples talk about their pregnancy so far and delivery expectations. Everyone else had zero problems and by the end of it I felt like such a defective mom-to-be. I am scheduled to be induced next week at 37 weeks and they have to prepare my cervix, etc first so I'm looking at 2-3 days of induction and labor, and maybe/probably a C-section if she's in distress. Scary! And this is my first labor and delivery experience. So I completely understand how you feel. The only silver lining I can find is that going through all this now will make us have an even stronger bond with our little one.  
  • Options
    I'm sorry, that is disappointing.

I also took a childbirth class with an emphasis on natural labor, only to be induced for pree.

Even though I had to be hooked up to the IV and monitors, my nurses were great about teaching me how to unhook the monitor myself so I could walk to the bathroom myself. I also had them bring a rocking chair and birthing ball next to my bed. I was sad I couldn't walk the hallways but I sat on the birthing ball for about 15 hours and labored for 20 hours naturally before happily choosing an epidural and delivering vaginally. Though I was initially disappointed about an induction, ultimately the goal is a healthy mom and baby. I reminded myself of that when I was admitted and I lived every minute of my labor and delivery experience. I hope you can say the same!

Don't let the class scare you they shove so much crap at you about the scary side effects of the meds, it's important to remember that in most cases the meds are used to keep us safe!
    dx: MFI 0% morph & low count. Occasional Anovulatory cycles.

TTC #1
    • IVF #1 4/21/12 - c/p
    • IVF#2 8/1/12 - BFP! DD arrived 4/10/2013.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    • FET #1 3/18/14 - BFP! DS arrived 11/19/2014.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"