Success after IF

Luteal Phase Defect/Letrozole

I posted this in Trying to get pregnant, but only got one response, so I thought I would try here!

I suspect I have a luteal phase defect as I consistently get my period 5 days after I ovulate.  My cycles have been approximately 30-45 days lately and I ovulate late in the cycle.  I was recently prescribed Letrozole to help with my ovulation (even though I specifically told the doctor that I am more concerned that I have a short luteal phase).  Does anyone have any experience with Letrozole being effective with short luteal phases?  Thanks in advance! 

Me: 33, DH: 33
Married since 2007

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Luteal Phase Defect/Letrozole

• SaraevhSaraevh member
    I also have luteal phase defect (8 or 9 day max after ovulation) and have been put on Clomid in the past so I'm not sure about the Letrozole,  however Clomid worked for me.    
    *My Loves, My Life, My Littles*

02/18/11, 05/24/12 and 12/03/13

• TJ1979TJ1979 member
    I could be wrong here, but my understanding was that letrozole will strengthen your ovulation, which increases your progesterone, which lengthens your LP.  So yes, letrozole would lengthen your LP.  GL.  I got pg using letrozole, but not for short LP.  I hope it works for you too.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't get pregnant with it but I tried it with IUI. It did lengthen my LP. GL!
  • I was prescribed clomid in an attempt to lengthen my LP but it didn't really work.  What did work was progesterone supplementation after I ovulated.  So, that is something else to consider if you try Femara and it still isn't lengethened enough.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• imageSaraevh:
    I also have luteal phase defect (8 or 9 day max after ovulation) and have been put on Clomid in the past so I'm not sure about the Letrozole,  however Clomid worked for me.    

This for me, too.  My RE's theory was that a short LP was a sign of "weak O" and Clomid or Femara would make you have a stronger O.  To this day, I'm still not exactly sure what that means, but it worked so I'm not complaining. Also, I took progesterone during my LP.

I have taken B6 before, too.  When I took it while TTC number 1, it did seem to lengthen my LP by about a day.  However, here recently when I took it, it didn't do anything.   

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • imageitsmevkb:
    I was prescribed clomid in an attempt to lengthen my LP but it didn't really work.  What did work was progesterone supplementation after I ovulated.  So, that is something else to consider if you try Femara and it still isn't lengethened enough.
    This for me too. I did not get pregnant until my second IVF cycle, but progesterone support was the only thing that helped lengthen my LP.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Yes, she also prescribed Crinone for after ovulation.  Thanks for the responses!!  
    Me: 33, DH: 33
    Married since 2007

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"