D.C. Area Babies

Hospitals in Fairfax/Reston area

I'm evaluating what hospital (and thus what OB) I will be using and I'm a little torn. My current OBGYN whom I love is affiliated with Fairfax Inova (where I was born actually!), but I live in Herndon and it's at least a 30 minute drive.  Reston Hospital is closest, but I've heard horror stories about it (not maternity stories, but other surgical procedures) and I've heard mixed reviews on Loudoun hospital.  Does anyone have any specific feedback on these hospitals that could help me decide?  This is my first pregnancy and I want to do it right.

ps - My neighbor just gave birth at home in a birthing bath with a midwife... maybe that's the way to go??? 

Thank you for your help!! 

Re: Hospitals in Fairfax/Reston area

• i delivered at fair oaks and had a fantastic experience both times.  everyone i know who has had a baby at either reston or loudoun has also had good experiences.  Fairfax is the place to be if you expect issues but it is so big and some say you dont get hte personalized treatment there.  I was born there too but have not delivered there myself. my suggestion is find an OB you love, you will spend so much more time with them than the actual hospital....and see where they deliver
  • Thank you for the feedback!  That was very helpful!
  • Loading the player...
  • I delivered at Reston and don't have anything but wonderful things to say about them. I loved the nurses, was treated with respect, and felt they helped a lot when I was a scared FTM.

FWIW, I love my OB practice. It's Perfectly Female...located on the same campus as the Reston hospital. It's an all women practice (hence the silly name) but the head OB, Evelyn Felluca, is a highly regarded Doc in the area. Worth a look!

HTH!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DH -> Dedicated Husband

FWIW -> For What It's Worth...(I think)

• I've been going to Perfectly Female at Reston since 1998 and love the doctors there. My sister in law delivered both her daughters at Reston, and two other friends delivered there, and loved it.  Not that this is related, but my mom had her knee replacement surgery there, and I stayed with her every day, 24 hours a day, and only have great things to say about the doctors and staff.

I think you're in good hands at reston.  Otherwise, you could go to fairfax or fair oaks.  In NOVA you have so many great options I don't think you can go wrong.  Try to at least give birth at a level 3 birthing center, just in case.

I would deliver at reston, but we moved 2 hours away. The closest hospital to me is only a level 1 nursery, and I'm considered high risk, so I'm delivering at Washington Hospital Center, which is 1.5 hours away :( 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • EVOEVO member
    I had my daughter at Reston 5 years ago.  Everyone was very nice, room was private and comfortable, and they gave me a massage the next day!

My doctor at the time had her privileges there, but it's just so far from where we live (Annandale).  So I'll be at INOVA Fairfax this time with a new doctor.
    Married 1/14/06 Custodial Stepmom to SD 14 Mom to DD 4 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers 3 m/c - 11/06, 07/07, 5/10 Baby #2 - due 08/28/13 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Lex703Lex703 member
    imageKatiedid81:
    I delivered at Reston and don't havenbsp;anything butnbsp;wonderful things to say about them. I loved the nurses, was treated with respect, and felt they helped a lot when I was a scared FTM. FWIW, I love my OB practice. It's Perfectly Female...located on the same campus as the Reston hospital. It's an all women practice hence the silly name but the head OB, Evelyn Felluca, is a highly regarded Doc in the area. Worth a look!nbsp;HTH!

Dr. Falluca used to be my OB I agree she is awesome! I had to stop going to her because it was just too far from my job
  • I am 23 weeks along and I had the choice between Arlington, Reston, Fair Oaks, or Fairfax Hospital to deliver. Although this is my first child I have heard nothing but amazing things from those around me that have delivered at Reston Hospital so that is my choice! I am super excited because from what they tell me a. they have individual rooms so you are guarenteed privacy. b. They give you a complamentary massage after delivering (depending on your situation- a friend of mine was in a coma after she delivered so she was granted all of these goodies once she was better but she gave rave reviews about the service and nurses that dealt very well with her clamsyia) c. a "new mommy and daddy" romantic dinner in your room. These are what I have heard from several friends that have delivered in the last 2 years here! so we'll see what the tour is like!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"