Pre-School and Daycare

good map games or activities for 4 yr old?

DS loves looking at maps, he holds the atlas in the car & just pages through it, etc... I thought maybe there might be some good games or activities w/ maps that are age appropriate for a 4 yr old...anyone know of any (besides puzzles).

ETA I did find a vtech USA game that tells the names of states etc. was hoping for something he could look at on a plane trip though.  I haven't looked at apps but will check those out too...

Re: good map games or activities for 4 yr old?

• My son loved maps and his globe at that age. He used to be able to name 41 of the states looking at their pieces on the map and at 6 probably knows 10, lol. He has a VTech game he bought. He has stack the states on the iPod which I have to tell you I do not know why parents like it for little kids because unless I have it setup wrong you need to be able to read and even though he can read he does not know facts about the states. I think he has flash cards but maybe that is just presidents. We also have the scrambled states of American book. They have a game too but it is for older kids so I do not know if the could play it or not.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • image-auntie-:

You might want to run this information past the clinician you saw recently if you didn't mention it at the time. Given your concerns about ADHD and anxiety, this could be a "special interest" which could add some clarity around your concerns.

Generally speaking, for some kids, unfettered access to a "special interest" can ramp up anxiety issues and behaviors. Probably not a huge deal if he plays appropriately with other things but still worth checking out.

Thanks...it is definitely not a special interest like that and he does not play inappropriately with any household itmes or toys, in fact. We have a globe in our house & a large wall map and the atlas is generally lying around our car somewhere from road trips...he does not obsess over them or look at them for extended periods of time, in fact he really has just shown a little interest and I thought that having something that could be more educational about how a map works would be good. The atlas he just picks up if he sees it in the car & flips through it (as does his sister) like it is a book but if it isnt' around he doesn't even ask about it.

• Loading the player...
  • ss+elss+el member
    Get him one of those spiral-bound notebook sized atlases and have him find places that start with the letter ___.  DS would probably make me read every city to him. :) 
  • jlw2505jlw2505 member
    We love the TAG maps.  They can use the pen and point and learn so much.  We have 2 of them I think.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • steverstever member

My DS likes maps too. If I was in your position I'd bring a laminated map to keep an eye an the big picture of where you're flying plus maybe print out some info about stuff you're flying over.

Like print out wikipedia entries, read about what you're flying over then point it out on tthe map.

My DS would like that, anyway. Must remember that for our next trip Stick out tongue

• imagejlw2505:
    We love the TAG maps.  They can use the pen and point and learn so much.  We have 2 of them I think.

i love this idea and see they have tag I spy too, which he lovs, but how loud is it, I don't want him to be annoying to ppl on a plane (not that we can't get it for him otherwise...) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"