Georgia Babies

Suburb Reputations

Hey Guys!

I posted a while ago about moving from Minneapoils to ATL and I got some awesome recommendations on housing/pricing, etc.

Well it seems we will be coming! So now begins the hunt for a house. Which brings me to my question. What reputation does Powder Springs have? We noticed they have some really awesome houses there and they are super inexpensive. Why is this?

Our other choices to look in are Lithia Springs and Marietta...any other ideas? We want a suburban feel on the west side of Atlanta. 

IMG_2448
"Be the Lego Lady"

Re: Suburb Reputations

• Powder Springs is pretty far out from Atlanta. I dread when I have tennis matches there and have to travel way out there. I don't know for sure, but I am thinking that the schools aren't that great there? You would have to look into that. I would rather live in Mableton, which has decent priced homes and is closer to the city. Of course, the schools aren't great there. Where are your jobs going to be? That should be your biggest factor when deciding where to live. Traffic in Atlanta is not great, and you do not want too live far away from your work, or you will be spending ALL your time in your car. Are you planning to buy or rent when you get here? I would consider renting first to get a feel for the area, and you make sure you really like the area you choose.

• Mwalte4Mwalte4 member
    Smyrna is nicer than Mableton and has slightly better schools. There is also a great community feel in Smyrna. I work downtown and my commute is about 30 minutes. Where you live in Atlanta depends on where you work because the commutes can be brutal.
  • Loading the player...
  • We're in Smyrna too and it is a great community, lots of family things to do and tons of parks!  If you look in Marietta, just know that it's a HUGE area.  Parts of Marietta are really nice with great school and a wonderful community and some parts are not.  I guess that's true with any city, but I was just surprised at the geographic size of what's referred to as Marietta.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Where are you planning on working? That will be the biggest deciding factor on where to live. Out of the three areas you asked about, Marietta is probably the nicest, but there are good and bad parts of each.  I am a realtor and happy to provide more information on the areas, schools, housing prices, etc if you want, just email me at alix . nadi @ gmail.com!
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • We are only going to be in Atlanta for 2-3 years so I think the idea is to rent. I will be staying home with our 2 yr old and looking at a map it looks like my husbands office is approx 8 miles west of Atlanta ( downtown) and 2-3 miles south of hwy 20. I have heard wonderful things about Smyrnabut am not sure if that's too far. Also, do most suburbs have Little Gyms or something fun like that for classes?
    IMG_2448
    "Be the Lego Lady"
  • I live in Marietta, specifically Marietta City about a mile from Marietta Sq. I love where I live. Others, may not feel the same. I am originally from MD/DC. I love the community feel and access to the Interstate, schools, restaurants, activities etc...Roswell may be too far but I also love this part of town too.

I would suggest flying in for a weekend and driving around the different areas before making a decision. Maybe even drive from that location to your husbands work to get a feel for traffic.

• I have been to powder springs a couple times and it seemed kind of run down and really rural to me, but I am a city girl. Out of the three places you suggested I would say Marietta is the nicest. But there are some rough pockets, as with any city so I would recommend seeing the house in person and its surroundings before making any decisions. Smyrna has nice areas too, but it too has its pockets of bad. If you decide on Smyrna I would stick to Smyrna/ vinings area ( north Smyrna) there are some really nice neighborhoods off S.Atlanta and Paces Ferry.

BFP#1.11/2/12-EDD 7/16/13-M/C.11/6/12
    BFP#2 1/2/13 EDD 9/13/13 DS#2 8/19/13!

My Ovulation Chart || Ovulation Chart 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We lived in Lithia Springs when we first moved to the ATL metro. I felt like it was so far away from everything. Like I really had to go out of my way just to stop at the grocery store or dry cleaners on my way home from work.

Eventually we ended up moving to the southeast side of town and I'm much happier here. I'd probably look a little more north Marrietta/Cobb County if you want to stay west of the city.

• KatieKTKatieKT member

My husband and I are moving to Atlanta in July also for about 2-3 years and I'll be staying home with our two year old son. We will have to meet up ;)

Good luck finding a house. We still have not found a rental! 

My Blog (that is not really about eating in the shower)
  • Thank you everyone for your suggestions! We are waiting on relo details before we can really make a decision, but I think we are leaning towards Marietta. I believe we get a 2 day trip to find a house so we'll definitely have to drive around. 

KatieKT- yes yes yes!!! I'll PM you when we get down there, we are also thinking it will be July for us! 

IMG_2448
    "Be the Lego Lady"
  • MaebbMaebb member
    I agree with PP that Smyrna or Marietta would be good choices. DH and I have been renting in Smyrna and are about to buy a house there. It is close enough to the city but still has a cute charm, lots of families, things to do, etc. Mableton is slightly sketchy in parts, and the schools aren't as good, so things are less expensive there. Same with Powder Springs, but it's further away. Marietta is a great choice because they have good schools, especially East Cobb, a lot of families, and Marietta Square has some cool shops, outdoor festivals in the summer, and that kind of thing. Good luck!
  • Smyrna is going to be a lot closer to your husband's work than Marietta, so if you are interested in that area, don't rule it out. It is a great, family-friendly area with tons to do!
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Mwalte4Mwalte4 member
    I'm so glad to see the Smyrna love! We've been here since 2009 and plan on staying until the kiddos graduate, at least 19 more years. After that, who knows? Perhaps the beach!
  • The best schools are in East Cobb and house prices are more affordable than in Roswell for example. Commute to Atlanta isn't too bad either. We live in Marietta and are pretty happy with homes and schools here.
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Rentals now are hard to find in Marietta, when you see a good one, go see it right away and take your checkbook. Just FYI! 

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"