Toddlers: 24 Months+

Big Boy Bed Woes

My LO just moved into his big boy bed.  The first night went fine, he went down relatively easily, slept through the night...only thing I would have changed is that I asked him to stay in bed until I came in to get him but he hopped out as soon as he woke up.  The two nights since then have been brutal.  I should say that two nights before the bed came and was assembled (we ordered from pottery barn so you're at their mercy as far as timing), he had a nightmare about a bear.  So now when we try to put him down and we close the door he is horrified, he screams, pounds the door, and throws things in his room.  Last night was particularly bad because my husband wasn't home and that upsets the whole routine.  On top of taking forever to get him to sleep last night he was in my bedroom at 4, so I had to get him to sleep all over again.  I'm trying to be sensitive because I know the move was poor timing and it's not like he's fooling around and just trying to escape the room he is genuinely afraid.  Any advice or words of encouragement would be appreciated.

Re: Big Boy Bed Woes

• We used the Sleep Lady Shuffle and it was helpful.  It's basically staying with them until they are asleep and gradually moving closer to the door and into the hallway over a period of weeks until they learn to go right to sleep without you.  It was time consuming, but successful.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Hmm...that's a good idea, thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • fill a spray bottle with some water and lavender oil then tell him its bear spray and spray the room before you put him to sleep that's what I did with my daughter when she got afraid of monsters and dinosaurs , it makes the room smell nice and calms their fears
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"