Adoption
Options

TX foster-to-adopt question

IF lurker, starting to seriously think about adoption!

Here's the story: DH and I will be moving to TX in the near future (most likely), and we are military so we will be there for 4 years. We are interested in the foster-to-adopt program for an under 3 year old, or maybe under 5 year old max (yes, I know that most kids are older in the foster system).

We're going through IF testing and realize that the TTC journey may be long. It was always part of our plan to adopt after having kids, now we are starting to think we should maybe adopt first and focus on that child first, while letting "what happens happen" with our TTC journey.

Questions:

1) Is it realistic to request an under-5 year old? How long of a wait do you think that would be?

2) Are we eligible to foster-to-adopt if we are only there for 4 years? If we can, and the adoption hasn't gone through (if it even gets to that point, I know the goal of foster care is reunification) by the time we have to move again, can we continue to foster the child in another state? If we can't foster-to-adopt because of our time frame, should we look into private adoption, or do you recommend another avenue?

Thanks in advance, I'm just starting to gather information and see if it is going to be realistic to look into this, or if we are just getting our hopes up for nothing again. I'd rather know as much as possible before we move there so I'm prepared for any let-downs. I appreciate all advice, and I'm not scared of blunt answers so no worries! :)

Don't expect any replies, and stop PMing me. This account is no longer being used and is waiting for the bump gods to deactivate it.

Re: TX foster-to-adopt question

• Options

Hi,

Welcome to Texas! We've done foster to adopt for two children, and are currently fostering a third. The first child was 2 months when we received him, the second 20 months and the third 7 months. We were told not to bother going through the process if we would only accept an infant, so boy were we surprised to receive the first phone call! We also got the call as soon as we were certified Foster Parents, so it was almost immediate. My advice if you want a younger child is to say you will accept a " legal risk" child, which means parental rights have not been terminated, but there is a stronger possibility that they will be. If you accept only children free for adoption, be prepared to wait a looooong time! Legal risk has been a very good option for us, but it does not always turn out. Almost two years ago, we brought home a newborn directly from the hospital. We had her for 33 days, and then the Judge said her Mom could take the baby to drug rehab with her. This was one of the hardest days of my life, but you get through it because there will always be another child that needs you. Foster to adopt is also very cost effective, only about $1,500 here in Texas. Overall, I would say most of the time the process from start to adoption is about a year. Good luck to you!

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you both, that was a lot of good info! Sounds like there is hope.
    Don't expect any replies, and stop PMing me. This account is no longer being used and is waiting for the bump gods to deactivate it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"