Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Back Tracking Academically over the summer

Just wondering if any of you are planning to do any sort of tutoring or classes or even working with your LO's over the summer so that they don't back track academically over the summer.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Back Tracking Academically over the summer

• Options
    jlw2505jlw2505 member

I don't do anything formal but my kids also go to the schools summer program for part of the summer.  While they are not in a classroom, they are still with their teachers (PreK) or before care staff for the full days and both programs include daily reading plus many of the actitivies have educational components that are just not spelled out for the kids.  They go on nature walks, they do puzzles and tons of other games.  They do field trips to a swimming pool, museum, parks and even a very cool kids science center.  Many of the projects and weekly themes are fun but also have some educational things as part of them.  It makes learning fun.  My kids will also be at a daycamp for 3 weeks and while they won't be reading, they are having educational experiences of a very different kind as they are outside all day.  They swim, boat, fish, do drama games and sports plus as this is run by our Temple, also have some Jewish education and expiences.

On top of that, we read with the kids daily (we read to them and/or they read to us).  We do games and other programs that involve math skills.  We have work books at the house that while they are never asked to do them, they often chose to and I keep them out next to the art table so they can get them whenever they want.  We try to add educational componetnets to daily life - we read labels during dinner, have them find words on the menu when out to eat and stuff like that - anything to really keep their brains working all summer long.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    DS will do a 6 week summer school program that is 3 day's a week from 9-12. Then today I went to Barns and Noble and bought 2 work books for him and I to do together each day over the summer.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    steverstever member
    DS will be going to Summer school but has all of August off. I just plan to practice writing/drawing with chalk outside or with crayons and paper,  lots of reading with him and plenty of getting out and about.
  • Options
    DD(3) will be off the whole summer with me(I'm a teacher).  I'm not going to do anything formal with her.  We had a recent conference with her teacher, so I know what they're working on at school, so I just plan to continue with similar activities.  I'm going to be pretty casual about it - I keep some stuff in her art cabinet in the kitchen, and she pulls it out whenever she wants.
  • Options
    I always try to have a print-rich environment and give DD lots of opportunities to write (postcards, grocery list, making banners, writing notes, etc.). We're going to do the summer reading program at our library, too, so she can record her reading, plus we have designated times every day for reading. We play lots of games, some of which I make up, that give her math practice (she's always the banker in Monopoly Jr.). But I never really do formal "school" work.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I assume your LO is not going to kindergarten in the fall, so I can't really see a reason for something like tutoring unless your LO is learning disabled or has other issues where you would be truly concerned about being behind in preschool? Seems to me summer is for fun and play even when kids go to school and forcing schoolwork on kids in summer when there are no problems or reasons esp at a young age seems excessive....keep reading all the time and practice letters maybe and use fun outdoor activities as educational opportunities instead of formal sit down and do schoolwork type activities...

pi think it also depends on the kid. My dd loves practicing writing the alphabet and looking at words and tracing numbers and stuff...Ds hates those types of activities and likes more active learning, we have plenty of years to have to argue about homework so I will have him do those things at preschool and pre k and not do much at home, esp  in summer. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"