5 Weeks Pregnant

When did you tell your parents?

Hi! I am almost 5 weeks pregnant with our first child. We have been actively trying for four months which seemed like an eternity. We are beyond excited and I am painfully anxious about getting through these next 11 weeks. I have my first doctors appointment 3/25/13 and my first ultrasound 4/2/13. My husband cant wait to tell his family, but i'm super nervous about doing that until I've heard the heart beat and know there is an actually a baby in there. When did you all let your parents know you were expecting? Did you wait for the first ultrasound or did you tell after the positive pregnancy test? Beyond immediate family and close friends, we agreed to wait till the 2nd trimester to openly tell everyone else. 
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: When did you tell your parents?

• I too am 4 weeks, and I am the one that wants to tell everyone and my husband wants me to be private. I am just so happy I cannot keep it hidden. I told my closest friends and Mom. I figure if anything were to happen, I would need them anyway. We decided to tell my family (immediate and extended) at 8 weeks, and then comfortably share with everyone else at 12 weeks. I am well aware of the possibilities, but clearly cannot wait 12 weeks to tell my Dad he will be a grand-pop!

I hope these next couple weeks go faster then the expected movement of molasses! 

• I have only told him and one friend who is also trying. My coworker overheard me seeking prenatal care. In light of a few factors, I'm with you. Gonna wait a little longer they'll probably figure it out before the baby shower ;P I also didn't tell too many we were trying, didn't want to get asked if we were having trouble.
    I'm happy though :D
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We have been struggling with same issue. We were trying for 9 months before it happened so I want to tell everyone but also am afraid we might miscarry and then have to deal with everyone. We are telling close family at 6 weeks and waiting for everyone else until 12 but my BFF found out first day. :
  • Completely understand how you feel! We had been trying for 3 months and so excited when we found out we were pregnant. I'm very close to my mom & told her & my dad the very next day. We waited a week and I felt guilty about his parents not knowing so we also told them. We'll definitely wait until 8 weeks to tell everyone else but I figured if anything were to happen, I would want them to know instead of grieving and trying to hide it as well.
  • We told his dad, brother, my parents, best friends, aunt/uncle and 3 other close friends the day after we found out. We've decided those are the people we'd want around if anything happened. Extended family we will tell after the ultrasound around 9/10 weeks and announce to world at 13/14 weeks.
  • We are waiting until Mother's Day to tell our family's, it seemed like a save time to change from mom to grandma status.
  • We've been trying for 3.5 years. 2.5 years ago we started seeing fertility doctors and I've kept my parents and in-laws in the loop.  My parents and in-laws knew when we had our latest IUI and pregnancy test so they actually called us!  4 months ago, we got a bfp that ended up being ectopic.  We had told our parents (they asked right away) and I don't regret telling them.  Going through the ectopic and m/c was horrible and it was great having our family and some close friends know so I could take about it.  Not everyone's like that, though.  You have to decide if you're okay with letting those people who know also know if you end up having a m/c.
    Diagnosed with PCOS
    TTC Since 2009
    July 2011- IUI #1 BPN (Clomid, Ovidrel, Crinone)
    Aug 2011- IUI Cancelled (Clomid, Ovidrel, Crinone)
    Sept 2011- IUI Cancelled (Clomid, Ovidrel, Crinone)
    Oct 2011- IUI Cancelled (Clomid, Ovidrel, Crinone)
    Nov 2011- IUI #2 BPN (Femara, Ovidrel, Crinone)
    Took a break and then found a new RE
    Oct 2012- IUI #3 BPN (Follistim, Ovidrel, Crinone)
    Nov 2012- IUI #4 (Follistim, Ovidrel, Crinone)
    BFP on November 29th
    Pregnancy was ectopic and terminated on December 8th
  • I told my mom right after I had my first postive test result.  My husband told his parents that afternoon.  Within the last week, I've told my closest friends.  I am 5 weeks today.  It is a very nerve wracking experience because you are so happy on the one hand, but, you know that you can be disappointed early on in the pregnancy.  You should just do whatever you feel comfortable in doing.  There is no right or wrong answer.

• We told our immediate families on Mother's Day, 4 days after we found out we were expecting! (I'm 4 weeks 5 days today). It was a perfect gift for them...since our immediate families were together for dinner, we gave our moms a gift to open - it was a white onesie we decorated to say "I <3 Grandma. Coming Jan 2014. Happy Mother's Day!" --- everyone started crying and was so so happy. It was perfect. We're waiting to tell extended family & friends until at least 12-14 weeks.
  • We did the same thing on telling the newly grandparents on mother's day.. seemed like an appropriate time to tell them! As far as everyone else we have decided to wait to tell the extended family at 89 weeks and everyone else at 12 weeks or so!! But it is so hard to keep this big a secret, I want to shout it from the rooftops!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"