Adoption
Options

Home Study.....freaking out!!

emcaemca member

Hi All!

I just got a call from a caseworker from our agency and they have an appointment open THIS Saturday for our home study.  My home needs a serious cleaning and I feel like I didn't do any of the little things around the house that I wanted to do!!  I am freaking out.  Hope I get things done in the next 2 days!  I'm very excited!  Thanks for listening!

After 1 IUI, 3 IVF's with CGH/CCS testing, 10 early miscarriages, and lots of tears and frustration, we are moving on to Domestic Infant Adoption!  We are so excited to see what the future holds.

Re: Home Study.....freaking out!!

• Options

Don't freak out!  They don't care if you dust.  :)  They just want to make sure you have a nice safe home and you're not harboring any fugitives in the basement.

I don?t think my caseworker even looked at every room. It probably depends a lot on who?s doing the inspection but I?m sure you?ll be fine. Congrats on your next big step!

• Options
    We had ours last month, and I cleaned everything, including the outside of my washer and dryer. LOL  Our SW did not look at any of it.  She was mainly concerned about the safety features of our house, especially since we have a pool.  So, I worried for nothing.  I think as long as you pick up most of the clutter and do a light cleaning, you will be fine.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2, Operative hysteroscopy March 2011; IVF #1 long lupron protocol April 2011-cancelled due to poor response; IVF #2 flare protocol May 2011=hospitalization due to abdominal hemorrhage during ER and no fert due to MFI issues. Moving onto international adoption from Moldova January 2013!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We cleaned like we've never cleaned before. It didn't matter at all. Our SW was *not* interested in how clean we were. Instead, it was lots of good conversation and snacks.  I'd lie if I didn't say I baked brownies on purpose that morning so the house smelled like baking.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    IRRIRR member
    I wasn't even home for my home visit.  DH worked from home that day.  I don't think she was here more than 30 minutes total.  I don't think I cleaned a thing and we were only given a day or so notice that she was stopping by.  No freak out at our house.

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• Options

oh this post is fabulous.  You all put my mind at ease and I wasn't even the one asking lol because ours isn't scheduled yet and I was freaking a little bit.  I love hearing all your stories. I didn't think of baking brownies before hand. Hmmm I was going to throw a stray load of laundry in so the house smelled like Gain instead. Okay not really but it sounds like a good idea lol

Best of luck on your home visit. I'm sure it will be just fine.

• Options
    emcaemca member
    Thanks everyone!  I definitely feel better now.  I am cleaning, but not going crazy.  Our room literally looked like a bomb hit it because we were away last weekend.  It is now much better.....good motivation to straighten up I guess...LOL!  Thanks for easing my nerves!

After 1 IUI, 3 IVF's with CGH/CCS testing, 10 early miscarriages, and lots of tears and frustration, we are moving on to Domestic Infant Adoption!  We are so excited to see what the future holds.

• Options
    sgb721sgb721 member
    Don't panic!! I went crazy for three days scrubbing our house from top to bottom and while I'm sure she appreciated it, it didn't have anything to do with us being approved. They ask that any weapons are locked up (we don't have any) and they ask if you have a space for the baby but that is about all. Oh, and if you live in a relatively safe neighborhood. Good Luck!
    TTC since June 2010
    5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)
  • Options
    I think, as a rule, your house has to be cleaner to show to prospective buyers than it does for an adoption homestudy.  I wish I knew and believed that when we were going through ours.
  • Options
    Don't freak out to much. We cleaned and had every little detail covered, she barely even looked around! I think they just want to make sure your not a psychopath and you live in safe clean home.
    Domestic Adoption-Activated January 29th, 2013. Trying to be patient. The journey: http://perpetuallyupsidedown.tumblr.com/
  • Options

I just did my normal cleaning before our home study. Our SW just looked for fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, and made sure our hot tub (which is in an enclosed pagoda) was secure.  I doubt she was there for even 20 minutes.  

It is nothing to get worked up over or clean like a maniac. As long as there are no immediate dangers you will be fine.

Did you get a copy of the inspection so you know how to prepare? We did and it helped to make sure everything is taken care of before hand.  

Pursing Domestic Infant Adoption through a local agency. In the meantime, our dog is our baby.  Bumping from Portland, Oregon. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"