School-Aged Children

What age?

My seven year olds close friend isn't doing well. He has severe disabilities. He went into cardiac arrest this morning. It could go either way, but what age for a funeral?

Re: What age?

• ppantsppants member
    I'm very sorry to hear about your son's friend.  My 7 yr old twins went to there 1st funeral this year.  My cousin passed away expectedly.  The kids didn't know her very well though.  I hope his condition improves.
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • At that age my Mom would bring me to funerals because she had no one to watch me. I also think funerals let kids know the person is not coming back so I would take your child. Hopefully the child will pull through. Good luck.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Loading the player...
  • alakealake member
    We attend church at least twice a month.  They are used to going to services.  I will probably leave it up to him.
  • My 5 yr old went to her first funeral this month.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm so sorry to hear that, I hope his friend pulls through!

when I was in the 2nd grade my teacher was diagnosed with cancer and passed away within the school year. It was very important to me to go to the funeral and my parents took me. I don't think you're son is too young and it may mean a lot for him to go.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• With guidance, I think a 7 year old can answer this question for himself/herself.   "Sweetheart, you know XZY has been very sick and it doesn't look like he is going to recover this time.  His parents are planning a funeral, its a way to say goodbye to the dead.  Many say its healing; however, they are planning an open casket and death can be difficult to face.   I want you to think about weather you want to attend or not."    My daughter is very caring of others.  She would probably want to attend with me.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jlw2505jlw2505 member
    As this is his friend, I would for sure take him to the funeral.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"