Pre-School and Daycare
Options

What's my problem?

I haven't registered DD for kindergarten yet.  Registration for our public school was due 2 months ago.  I haven't done any research about schools. I think our public school is good. I looked at one charter school about 20 minutes away but I don't like their website and the fact that they call teachers by their first names. Randomly looking around, I found a Montessori charter school about 20 minutes away. I don't have any information about it other than what is on their website. I sort of want to call and get more info/set up a tour but then I wonder why I should bother if our public school is okay and much, much closer. So instead, I do nothing. Grrr. I don't think I'm in denial exactly, I'm just thinking that this is one of those big decisions that I have to make that really matter.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                         Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: What's my problem?

• Options
    IDK but I would work on it ASAP.  In my district, public school slots fill up and then you are forced to schools (still in the district) further away (they don't open new classrooms).  Of course, the "better" schools fill up first. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

the calling by first names isn't really a big deal.  Its a philosophy of teaching that we are all a community together and deserve the same level of respect.  Usually they go by Mr. Matt or Ms. Kim or whatever to distinguish.

But yeah, you really need to just bite the bullet and start figuring things out.  If nothing else, you need to get your child registered in your own public school asap.  They make teacher decisions based on numbers and the earlier they have those numbers the better.  The teachers have time to prepare and sections of classes can be adjusted.  If suddenly there is an influx of kids registering the days before schools starts- it can effect class sizes and numbers.

As far as charter schools go, the good ones are going to be full soon if not already.   SO, if that is something you are interested in you need to go and look now.  

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    shannmshannm member

There is a good chance that even if you did start to look now, you would find that all the private slots are taken.  But if you are serious about considering them, I would call now because events and deadlines are happening now for the next year. For example, we have our kindergarten orientation for parents in two weeks.

And while calling teachers by their first names can seem really foreign to some of us, I wouldn't judge a school too much by it.  DS attends a really fantastic Quaker elementary school and everyone gets called by their first names, teachers, parents, even the head of school.  It reflects the values of equality and respect that the Friends practice.  It was strange at first for me but it feels perfectly normal and actually quiet warm now.  

• Options
    Have you considered homeschooling?
  • Options
    rsd12rsd12 member
    You could always register for the public and then visit the other alternatives. This happens a lot in my area, as it is first come for the school in my area, and then they may bus your child to a different school if there is no room. We moved last year after school registration and had no problems getting into our neighborhood school.

I also want to add that at preschool the teachers go by miss first name and it is an awesome program that has a waiting list.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Options
    jlw2505jlw2505 member
    Sorry but at this point, your decision may have been made for you as many schools are already full.  Around here, deadlines are typically in Jan sometime and lottery drawings done in Feb or March.  For us, full day is not guaranteed so unless you applied for full day by the deadline, you have zero chance to get it even if you are in-district.  We open enroll and for my DD that is going into kindy, they are ending up with 5 sessions at her school (2 full day and 3 half day) and still have people on the waiting list.  My current kindy DD has 4 sessions in her year.  We open enroll and are super lucky that we got in and for full day for both.  My home district has an immersion school and a STEM school and both have a lottery and huge wait list.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"