Dads & Dads-to-be

5 Thing Thursday

Thursday again?  Already?

I don't have much of anything for questions this week, so it is a free for all 5 Thing Thursday..

Re: 5 Thing Thursday

• 1) The Cubs are playing a tad better than I expected, but the bullpen has a swarm of flies circling it because they are pitching like crap.  I don't think they'll lose 100 this year unless the wheels just fall off, which will be better than last year.  I still don't think they'll be .500 or anything, and they'll probably be in the bottom 2 of the division, but it is something.  I just hope Theo can work his magic and make the team tolerable to watch on a day in, day out basis soon, I cringe every time they go to the bullpen.

2) Pacers are playing well.  Hopefully they'll finish off the Knicks in New York and give Miami a hard time... if they beat them, I'd be happily surprised but not completely stunned.

3) I hate Memorial Day weekend.  For most people it is a great 3 day weekend.  For me it is a TON of work.  Working in the soft drink industry, and then to top it off, working in the city hosting the biggest single day sporting event in terms of attendance, just makes for a very, VERY busy weekend.

4) My youngest is really starting to get fun.  He's smiling a great deal and he's starting to babble more.  He'll be 12 weeks old tomorrow.  He's smiled some for a few weeks now, but now he's doing it more frequently and to people, like my wife, myself and my oldest.

5) My oldest is about be 29 months old Saturday.  He's a character and a half.  He's pretty smart, he's answering questions on his shows, and answering them correctly and before they do.  He is 2 though and doesn't like to follow directions much and is very opinionated.  "I don't like it" is the newest phrase that is all the rage in his vocab recently, I could do without hearing that for a while.

• C'mon Coltsdad, you're killing me here.

1.  The weather this week went from 48 and rain to 80 and sunny in one day.  Cause and effect...I'm sick.  Sinus infection is sucking my will to live.

2.  The crib is built and we are halfway done installing the closet organizer for the nursery.  Things are shaping up nicely.

3.  Still fighting an uphill battle against the dandelions.  The house behind ours is currently foreclosed so that yard is a hellhole and I can pretty much guess where the weeds are coming from.

4.  DW is 23 and a half weeks now.  She is constantly putting my hand on her belly to feel the kicks but I have yet to feel one.  How soon did you guys feel a kick?

5.  The Red Wings have quite the challenge for the semifinals.  The damn Blackhawks are very talented and I will be very surprised if we move on.  I hate having to listen to my Chicago friends gloat about a team they didn't give a sh!t about until a few years ago. 

• Loading the player...
  • imagefutant462:

C'mon Coltsdad, you're killing me here.

3.  Still fighting an uphill battle against the dandelions.  The house behind ours is currently foreclosed so that yard is a hellhole and I can pretty much guess where the weeds are coming from.

4.  DW is 23 and a half weeks now.  She is constantly putting my hand on her belly to feel the kicks but I have yet to feel one.  How soon did you guys feel a kick?

Sorry... I've been doing this for what seems to be about a year, so I hit a lot of the questions to ask out there.

As far as the dandelions, I feel you.  I got a notice from our HOA about the dandelions, even though I've been mowing them once a week.  Houses on both sides are terrible with them too, I'm guessing it is the one down wind and they got me and the other neighbor too.  I finally got some weed killer down this week, so hopefully that'll help take care of them, or at least keep them to a minimum.

As far as the kicks go, you should start feeling them any time.  I want to say with my first, it was right around 22-24 weeks where I felt the kicks for the first time.  Felt them at 20 weeks with #2.  They are very light at first, so you may need to concentrate on it, but soon you'll be feeling them while distracted.  The really freaky part is when you can see the movement in her belly... freaky cool.

• PrimePrime member

1) Last Friday we ended up at the hospital with what was apparently false labor.  My wife had contractions all day that were increasing in frequency and intensity.  She reached the 5-1-1 rule a little before midnight.  We called the doc and they told us to head to the hospital.  She got checked out and was only a fingertip dilated.  We walked around for about an hour and the contractions started to slow.  We were sent home around 3 am.

2) Since Friday the contractions haven't really had a pattern.  We had another appointment yesterday and there was no change.  She'll be 40 weeks on Saturday so hopefully something will happen soon.  She is becoming miserable.

3) My MIL has officially moved out here.  My BIL is also out here right now.  He is staying with her through June.  It's nice that they will be here for the baby, but it's also a difficult time to integrate this change.  They want to do dinners and borrow cars etc.  My wife can't say no to them and I'm trying to set boundaries while not pissing everyone off before the baby arrives.  Fun times.

4) We are in the middle of a re-fi.  Just had our appraisal this week.  Hopefully we can get this all wrapped up in the next couple weeks.  Getting those payments reduced will be very helpful when we go to one salary this summer.

5) Our dog has started to stay close to my wife at all times.  I've been working from home more often now and when I do he normally comes and hangs out with me in the mornings, but now he won't leave the bedside.  He tries to be in the bathroom with her.  We are hoping this means he is sensing something and maybe something will happen sooner than later.

• PrimePrime member
    imagefutant462:

I finally felt things when my wife was 24 weeks.  Up until then I would just stare at her blankly when she told me to feel her tummy for kicks.  Should happen real soon.

• PrimePrime member
    imageColtsdad:

1) The Cubs are playing a tad better than I expected, but the bullpen has a swarm of flies circling it because they are pitching like crap.  I don't think they'll lose 100 this year unless the wheels just fall off, which will be better than last year.  I still don't think they'll be .500 or anything, and they'll probably be in the bottom 2 of the division, but it is something.  I just hope Theo can work his magic and make the team tolerable to watch on a day in, day out basis soon, I cringe every time they go to the bullpen.

I'm afraid of what the Cubs can become in the next 2-3 year with Theo at the helm and a likely increase in revenue.  He's done a good job at gutting most of the old crappy contracts.  Soriano is the last one. 

• imagePrime:

1) Last Friday we ended up at the hospital with what was apparently false labor.  My wife had contractions all day that were increasing in frequency and intensity.  She reached the 5-1-1 rule a little before midnight.  We called the doc and they told us to head to the hospital.  She got checked out and was only a fingertip dilated.  We walked around for about an hour and the contractions started to slow.  We were sent home around 3 am.

5) Our dog has started to stay close to my wife at all times.  I've been working from home more often now and when I do he normally comes and hangs out with me in the mornings, but now he won't leave the bedside.  He tries to be in the bathroom with her.  We are hoping this means he is sensing something and maybe something will happen sooner than later.

We had a false labor incident too for our first.  They told her to come in when they hit 5 minutes, they hit it and we came in.  6 hours later they send us home.  After that it was moving finish lines (come in when they are more intense became call/come in when they hit 3 minutes, etc.) until she finally broke her water 36 hours later we got home.

I have heard that animals have a pretty good sense of things, so I would probably take that to mean sooner.

• imageColtsdad:

Sorry... I've been doing this for what seems to be about a year, so I hit a lot of the questions to ask out there.

As far as the dandelions, I feel you.  I got a notice from our HOA about the dandelions, even though I've been mowing them once a week.  Houses on both sides are terrible with them too, I'm guessing it is the one down wind and they got me and the other neighbor too.  I finally got some weed killer down this week, so hopefully that'll help take care of them, or at least keep them to a minimum.

As far as the kicks go, you should start feeling them any time.  I want to say with my first, it was right around 22-24 weeks where I felt the kicks for the first time.  Felt them at 20 weeks with #2.  They are very light at first, so you may need to concentrate on it, but soon you'll be feeling them while distracted.  The really freaky part is when you can see the movement in her belly... freaky cool.

I've been hitting the dandelions with Ortho and when they are dying I will grab the hand trowel and uproot them from the lawn.  It's the only way I can make sure they don't come back, at least in that spot.  I just put down Step 2 Weed n Feed from Menards so like you, I'm hoping that starts to do the job.

DW says she feels the baby kick like crazy whenever she eats sour patch kids or something equally gummy and sugary so I may stop at the corner store for a pack.  I guess I'm just impatient.

• 1) Shooting off on Memorial Day, we moved to a new house last fall, and I'm curious what the pool at our new place will be like on Memorial day. Probably jam packed with kids, if so far has been any indication. At our old complex the pool was seriously like a Vegas Hotel pool on the weekends.

2) Still amazed how much personality my 13 month old son has. He's gonna be smart, but a real handful, I think.

3) We went from burning hot weather to quite pleasant in just a couple days.

4) Dandelions are the devil. Glad we don't have them here.

5) Baby Prime needs to be more punctual.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • PrimePrime member
    imageLuckyDad:

5) Baby Prime needs to be more punctual.

Second.

Although technically he is not late yet.

• WulfgarWulfgar member

1) Got a Ghost pepper plant to go with my Habanaros.

2) Spent more money to plant a tomato plant and my LO breaks off the top of it.  Luckily I had three more but that was my biggest and best.

3) Have parsley and oregano planted in a planter.

4) Need to finish planting the rest of my plants.  I have a two more tomatoes and some peppers to plant.

5) Is it time for football?  I hope that the Pens win the Stanley cup but I can't watch much of hockey at any one time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• 1) Today is Friday and I am late. I don't care. I do what I want.

2) I had a job offer on Wednesday to manage the IT dept for a consulting firm. I turned it down. The pay was about 15k/yr less than I am making now. I hate working in this global enterprise environment but, it pays really well. Another job interview Monday.

3) The Lastros still disappoint me.

4) Is it football season yet? NCAA. NFL is so meh. I only worry about NFL because I like playing Fantasy Football. Speaking of which- who is coordinating the FF league this year?

5) Being a Dad is so much cooler than I thought it would be. My daughter will be 5 months old on Tuesday and she is pretty much my little minion.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejack19:

5.) tried the Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.  

I need to try this.. I hear great things. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageRockyTopVols:
    imagejack19:

5.) tried the Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.  

I need to try this.. I hear great things. 

I didn't like it until last summer but now it's pretty standard in my house throughout the season, along with Blue Moon.  They are my citrus intake for the day.

• PrimePrime member
    I get my citrus intake from IPAs.

• imagePrime:
    I get my citrus intake from IPAs.

I'm not a big hops guy.  Most IPA's are just too bitter for me but I do like the beers at Three Floyds and they're pretty hoppy as most craft beer makers are nowadays. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"