Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Paying for preschool and daycare

Currently DD goes to a home daycare 3 full days.  Starting in September, she will be going to preschool 3 days for 4 hours.  2 out of those 3 days will be on daycare days.  She will be at preschool from 9 - 1 and then DH will bring her to daycare from 1:15ish until I pick her up around 4:45.  Therefore, she will be at daycare 3 1/2 hours on those 2 days. 

The daycare lady told us that she would still charge us the full day price on those 2 days.   Does this sound unreasonable?  To me it just doesn't financially make sense to pay $45 for 3 1/2 hours (plus the hassle of my husband bringing her/dropping her off at daycare on those 2 days) when I can pay a nanny for that amount $ to pick her up and bring her home to our house.

Ideally, I would like to keep her at the daycare and pay the half day price on those 2 days.  DD2 is still young, she will remain at the daycare.

Thoughts? 

Re: Paying for preschool and daycare

• Options

it would be nice for her to give you a break, but if she can't take on any other full time kids, she may need the money because it's not likely she'll be able to find another that part time.  why don't you look into a daycare center you can send both kids to full time?

I also had my DD with a SAHM, but after the baby and it was time for me to go back to work she was 2 1/2 and I wanted her in something more structured with more kids, so they both go to daycare.  I would have loved to have the baby in a home setting like DD, but daycare really hasn't been as bad for the baby as I worried it would be.  DD was very structured with the sitter, which was nice, but when it was nap time she needed her nap, DS has been much more flexible which is nice since I can't stop everythign anymore for nap time. 

• Options
    Our in home daycare didn't do half-days for half-price. Most full-time preschools won't either.  Sounds reasonable to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sounds reasonable to me. Ditto PP I'd look into another place. Having dh go and pick her up and take her someplace else in the middle of the day sounds Like a big pita.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yup, sounds in line with what I've found in my area. PT daycare is difficult to find and usually not much cheaper than FT anyway, if at all. Most places charge you the full rate and it's up to you to use as many hours as you need. 

The preschool program (within a daycare) that DD2 is doing in the fall had like a $2 per day difference between its part-time (4 hours) and full-day programs. Since signing her up for the part-day hardly saved us anything and limited my flexibility, she's registered for full day and I plan on just picking her up early most days. That's why I chose a preschool that had a full day program, rather than paying for both preschool + child care.  

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Options
    mgrulkemgrulke member
    The reason they are charging you the full day rate is because they are "saving" a spot for your child in the afternoon, when they could have a Full Time child there all day. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"