Homeschooling

God Bless America - homeschooling in Sweden

Have you seen this story about the boy who was taken from his parents at gunpoint because he was being homeschooled?

https://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/parents-fight-to-regain-custody-of-homeschooled-son--211439466.html

Between that story and theGerman family seeking asylum in the US because they wanted to homeschool, I am so happy I live in America!

Although, if historical patterns teach us anything (not in the public schools, obviously...lol), it will probably be illegal in the US for our grandchildren to homeschool their kids.  It seems to be what eventually happens when you start giving the government too much control.

Re: God Bless America - homeschooling in Sweden

• imageDC2London:

Yeeeeeeahhhh that doesn't sound....right.  I need to investigate this further.

Although, if the US educational system were more like that in Sweden, I may not feel as strong a need to HS.  Still, though, that is some major overstepping.....EU govts take up some bizarre causes.  

I haven't heard this specific case, but I wouldn't doubt it's veracity. Sweden is very strict with their schooling laws, and homeschooling is only allowed for gypsies and travelers. It is basically considered child abuse otherwise, and they have been known to forcibly remove children from homes and arrest parents because of it. 

I also think that if our schools were like Sweden's, I wouldn't likely have a need to homeschool. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • I would still want to homeschool.  Part of my reason for wanting to do so is to base my child's education around our faith and to also allow my children to spend their childhood with their parents and siblings.  I would think for many parents in Sweden, they want the same things.  Sure, their education system may produce good results (academically) and there aren't religious influences to worry about, but there are still cultural influences that some parents are going to feel strongly about protecting their children against.  And it should be our right to do so as parents.  The government shouldn't have to force us to send our children away if we aren't comfortable with it.

• Loading the player...
  • Abuse because you are homeschooling???? Seriously??? That's just insane but not the first time I am sure this has come about...I know people judged my parents for our faith based education, but I still plan on giving my kids this firm foundation...go ahead and tell me I am abusing my kids cause God always has the last say!! I am sure with the government we have now days it won't be long before this issue comes up cause they want full control especially when it comes to religion...hence why prayer and the pledge of allegiance is not allowed in schools anymore! Sorry this gets me heated! lol
  • imageafreud:
    Abuse because you are homeschooling???? Seriously??? That's just insane but not the first time I am sure this has come about...I know people judged my parents for our faith based education, but I still plan on giving my kids this firm foundation...go ahead and tell me I am abusing my kids cause God always has the last say!! I am sure with the government we have now days it won't be long before this issue comes up cause they want full control especially when it comes to religion...hence why prayer and the pledge of allegiance is not allowed in schools anymore! Sorry this gets me heated! lol

Where do you live? There is nowhere in the U.S. where "prayer isn't allowed," and I don't know of any school that doesn't still recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Organized prayer isn't allowed verbally (out loud) during school hours, but students are welcome to pray at any time in ANY school to themselves or with a small group outside of organized school activities. Most schools also have a Christian prayer group that meets before school, which is an approved school activity. 

I am a Christian and a strong proponent for homeschooling, but I have seen a huge push from the Christian Right about these sorts of things, and in my (recent) experience, there is no basis.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • imagebridein08:

imageafreud:
    Abuse because you are homeschooling???? Seriously??? That's just insane but not the first time I am sure this has come about...I know people judged my parents for our faith based education, but I still plan on giving my kids this firm foundation...go ahead and tell me I am abusing my kids cause God always has the last say!! I am sure with the government we have now days it won't be long before this issue comes up cause they want full control especially when it comes to religion...hence why prayer and the pledge of allegiance is not allowed in schools anymore! Sorry this gets me heated! lol

Where do you live? There is nowhere in the U.S. where "prayer isn't allowed," and I don't know of any school that doesn't still recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Organized prayer isn't allowed verbally (out loud) during school hours, but students are welcome to pray at any time in ANY school to themselves or with a small group outside of organized school activities. Most schools also have a Christian prayer group that meets before school, which is an approved school activity. 

I am a Christian and a strong proponent for homeschooling, but I have seen a huge push from the Christian Right about these sorts of things, and in my (recent) experience, there is no basis.  

I don't have much experience with public schools since I graduated nearly 15 years ago, so the only things I hear about are what others say and what is in the news.  We are involved with our local Teens For Christ chapter and they have talked about how they have been forced out of our local schools (these are just groups of students who meet together and do service activities).  

It seems like we hear a lot in the news about teachers being fired for expressing their faith to students, students wearing a cross or shirt discussing Christ, removing religious items that are a part of the school's founding from the walls, students being harassed by faculty for expressing their religious views in class, being forced to remove headcoverings, etc.  I know that these situations are not the norm and out of the thousands of schools in the country, represent only a small amount.  But, when the only stories about the public schools (apart from the ones talking about how they are failing) are about these atypical scenarios, it's hard to believe that the system is very friendly to Christians.  The news makes it seem downright hostile at times.

I am completely with you about children still being able to pray in schools.  I know that my kids could.  When Christians talk about prayer being taken out of school, it's organized prayer during class that they are talking about.  That used to happen and it doesn't anymore.  As long as my kids are able to be schooled at home, I'm fine with that.  I realize there are many faiths attending schools.

What I would worry about if my kids had to attend public schools would be them being harassed or not receiving appropriate grades on assignments because of their beliefs.  I want to raise children who feel confident to express Truth whenever they feel the need to.  If that means telling a teacher that they disagree with their point of view because the Bible tells them it is wrong, I feel it would be my kids' Christian duty to do so.  I've just heard so many stories about kids being told they are wrong or not being given the opportunity to explore all points of view in the current system. 

Like I said, as long as I have the right to remove my children from the system, I am fine with it being Godless.  But if the government forced me to send my children there, I would have serious problems with my kids not being able to speak out about their faith.

• imageestreyas:
    image+adamwife+:

It seems like we hear a lot in the news about teachers being fired for expressing their faith to students, students wearing a cross or shirt discussing Christ, removing religious items that are a part of the school's founding from the walls, students being harassed by faculty for expressing their religious views in class, being forced to remove headcoverings, etc. 

<snip> 

What I would worry about if my kids had to attend public schools would be them being harassed or not receiving appropriate grades on assignments because of their beliefs.  I want to raise children who feel confident to express Truth whenever they feel the need to.  If that means telling a teacher that they disagree with their point of view because the Bible tells them it is wrong, I feel it would be my kids' Christian duty to do so.  I've just heard so many stories about kids being told they are wrong or not being given the opportunity to explore all points of view in the current system. 

Like I said, as long as I have the right to remove my children from the system, I am fine with it being Godless.  But if the government forced me to send my children there, I would have serious problems with my kids not being able to speak out about their faith.

As someone who is very uncomfortable around Christians, I can tell you why in a nutshell:

intolerance and evangelism.

These are not the dominant Christian practices by ANY means and I recognize that (I married a man who occasionally preaches at a local church), but there becomes a case of student comfort. I was told by a classmate in high school that I was the spawn of Satan since I was an apostate (who formally rejected the faith) and I was going to hell. In front of a teacher (a former nun), I was consistently and regularly harassed by Christian students due to my lack of faith in their religion. This has become an unfortunate occurrence in schools, and I think with the rise of some of the churches that exist in the US, it becomes more dominant. 

My husband is genuinely uncomfortable identifying /himself/ as a Christian because of some of the groups in the US - and he's not even American, but Canadian!

I believe students should certainly have the opportunity to tell a teacher they disagree with them, or to talk to others about their faith. I just don't believe they have the right to demand others adhere to it - and that goes for any religion. If a parent genuinely does not believe in evolution, geological history of the earth, Ice Ages, etc. (which I've found Biblical Literalists tend not to, due to the age of the earth being less than 6,000 years old by their reckoning) - it's an opportunity to teach kids how to understand someone else's view without agreeing with it. We're going to meet people every day that we disagree with, and being able to explain that "I believe that God created the earth in seven days, really" versus "God is a metaphor and the seven days are a way to explain the ages of development of the earth and its creatures" is a critical skill.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here and I would never want my child telling another child they are the spawn of Satan.  That's terrible and very ineffective evangelism (if that was the goal). 

It's funny - you can find Christians who send their kids to public school specifically to evangelize.  They think it's wrong to homeschool because it keeps you from being able to spread the Gospel.  We've found this criticism of our choice to homeschool in our Christian circles.  If I ever sent my kids to public school, it wouldn't be for that reason.  I just want my kids to be able to express their faith in their studies without repercussions from faculty.  That's all.  I don't feel like the current climate tolerates that (and I'm not talking about Creationism, but rather social issues), so we don't want our kids to be a part of it.

I guess you could say my reasoning for being uncomfortable sending my children to public school where liberalism is the dominant ideology is similar to your reasons for your discomfort around Christians:

intolerance and "evangelism" (not of the Gospel, but of certain political and social ideology that differs from our faith)

I'm not opposed to teaching my children about other worldviews and ideas.  That's one of our reasons for choosing to homeschool - because we want them to get ALL sides of the story.   I feel like public schools ignore and are sometimes hostile to the religious sides of the stories and disregard their importance.

And for the record, I am also uncomfortable around certain Christians who are intolerant and seem to evangelize in very non-Christlike ways.  It's also one of the reasons we are equally uncomfortable sending our children to a private Christian school.  Sometimes I wonder if giving a complete stranger control over our children's religious education is just as dangerous, if not more, as doing it for their secular education.

• imageDC2London:

image+adamwife+:
    I would still want to homeschool.  Part of my reason for wanting to do so is to base my child's education around our faith and to also allow my children to spend their childhood with their parents and siblings.  I would think for many parents in Sweden, they want the same things.  Sure, their education system may produce good results (academically) and there aren't religious influences to worry about, but there are still cultural influences that some parents are going to feel strongly about protecting their children against.  And it should be our right to do so as parents.  The government shouldn't have to force us to send our children away if we aren't comfortable with it.

I agree with you 100% that it's a total overreach.  There are negligent parents out there--if the government wants to intervene, more power to them.  But a child's parents are his first and best teachers.  Nothing about homeschooling resembles child abuse.  Not even kind of. 

But if it is flat-out illegal then you have to be an idiot to decide to break the law and be shocked that someone intervenes.  It is one thing to argue that they should allow it but another thing to break the law.  When I travel with my kids in other countries (we went to Hong Kong two months ago) I make a huge point to them that we are in a foreign country with their own laws and we follow the laws even if they are different.  I am not going to wind up like the parents of the kid in Singapore years ago that was cained for vandalism, and if I break the law then I expect I can get caught and need to accept the consequence.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"