VBAC
Options

What should I do? OB issue

nycnolanycnola member
There are very few OBs in my city that do VBACs, and only two at the hospital I am delivering at, which also happens to be the hospital that does the most VBACs in town and is well-equipped for a natural birth. I am seeing one of those OBs, and don't love her, but she gets results and I am keeping my eyes on the prize, you know? Anyways, two weeks before my due date my OB is having knee surgery on a Friday, and then taking the following week off from office visits and is not on call. That same weekend/following week, the other VBAC OB is getting married in Jamaica. I keep asking my OB "Who is covering you that wknd? Who will do my VBAC?" because every other OB in her call group refuses to do VBACs. She gave me one name one time, and I called that doctor's office and they didn't make me feel like I would have a good outcome. A lot of negative language about risk factors and such. Annoying. Anyways, because I went 2 weeks late with LO#1 my OB is convinced I won't have my baby early, and she keeps saying not to worry, but that isn't good enough for me. At my last appt she said "They can't force you to have a section" like that was enough to get a doctor to help me? I don't know what to do, really, because I ask at every appt- WHO IS COVERING YOU? My hospital requires the OB of VBAC patients be a 4 minute walk from my room at all times, so people are not lining up for the commitment, if you catch my drift. Thoughts? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: What should I do? OB issue

• Options
    If there are only 2 OB's that do VBAC's at that hospital then I think you may have to refuse if you go early if you want to deliver at that hospital.   They can't turn you away and they can't force you to have a c-section.  Which ever Dr is on call that day will have to help you.  Hospitals can't turn away a laboring women.  It is a crappy situation, but I don't think there really is anything else you can do short of switching  to another hospital or to a home birth.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Do you live in New Orleans?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    nycnolanycnola member

imageKen&Anna:
    Do you live in New Orleans?

Yep! Delivering at Touro.  

• Options

AWESOME!  I delivered at Touro and had a great experience there.

A good friend of mine had a VBAC with Dr. Perret (sp?) at Touro.

• Options
    Also I'm pretty sure my OB (Dr. Florencia Polite at LSU's clinic on St. Charles) is open to doing VBACs as long as it makes sense from a medical standpoint.  I loved her (she did my C-Section because LO was breech). 
  • Options
    nycnolanycnola member
    imageKen&Anna:

A good friend of mine had a VBAC with Dr. Perret (sp?) at Touro.

Dr. Perret was booked! I've never heard of Dr. Polite, but I like her name :) I have an appt next Wed. and I'll make a final decision then, I guess. Eyes on the prize, eyes on the prize! 

• Options

I had a similar crazy scheduling issue and it all worked out.  We actually ended up scheduling an induction because of it.

You may want to get a doula to help you, especially since you don't really like your primary doctor.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"