Postpartum Depression

So sad :

I have a long history of depression and worked really hard to get off meds so that we could have children. I am now 30 weeks pregnant with twins and throughout this pregnancy I have felt sad. However the last few weeks have been progressively worse. I had my baby shower yesturday and was able to fake happiness and excitement however by the end of the day my husband could tell I was a reck and when we got home the flood gates opened. I have spent all day today crying and want so desperately to feel happy again. To add to my sadness I am stressed with the idea of having two babies and moving into a new house within days of each other. My mother will be here to help for 3 months once the babies are born however that is not enough to help me feel secure about our ever changing lives.
Did anyone else feel this way closer to the end of pregnancy?
What did other people do to help with post partem depression? Something elese I am worried about having to encounter.
I can use all the advice people have to offer.

Re: So sad :

• First of all I am sorry you are going through this. It is understandable to have anxiety and fear leading up to one of the biggest changes in your life. I know I sure did. I can not relate to having twins but I can tell you what helped me deal with my PPD. At about 6 weeks pp I was a mess so I started on Zoloft and saw a therapist. The medication made a HUGE difference. My DH and I also moved in with my parents for 3 months when DS was 7 weeks old (this was pre-arranged prior to the PPD because of my DH's temporary work relocation). This was honestly what made the biggest difference for me. It allowed me to get my feet under me as a new mom and gain the confidence I was lacking. I can assure you by 3-4 months I felt totally ready to do it on "my own" - we live very far away from any family. Given my experience I think you are VERY lucky to have your mom coming to help you for the first three months and I am sure by the end of it you will have the hang of this new mom thing and do great on your own! 

In the mean time have you discussed with your doctor going on medication at this point in your pregnancy? My doctor has assured me I can stay on Zoloft to help prevent PPD with my next pregnancy with minimal risks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So you are not currently on meds?

If you are as miserable as you sound, I would talk to a psychiatrist about some pregnancy-safe medication. I totally understand wanting to be off medication, but you can't continue to live like this. It's not healthy!

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry you're going through this. The idea of moving and having your babies does sound stressful. I really hope it goes smoothly. It will be good to have your mom there to help. I started getting the depression feelings at the end of my pregnancy...I would say within the last month. I started on meds a few days before DD was born. I knew where it was headed. Is there someone you can talk to? Try therapy? Would you consider taking medication again? I wish I had better advice, but I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"