Military Families
Options

FDS Fort Bragg with 2 year old and pregnant

Just found out we are moving from New York to Fort Bragg, NC.  My parents are having a very difficult time handling our move and our taking their only grandchild away from them.   Now I just found out that I am pregnant with baby #2 and am due in December. We are moving in July.  I am not even looking forward to telling my parents because I know that they will just make us feel even worse about moving away from them and them not having a relationship with their newest grandchild.

Working army spouse and mom to beautiful Aly!

Re: FDS Fort Bragg with 2 year old and pregnant

• Options
    We are in Fort Bragg as well.  I am due in August with our first.  My parents, my Mom specifically, have had such a hard time just having me and my husband move away from them, I know having this grandbaby so far away is going to be hard on them as well.  We are originally from MI and have lived in FL, CA, and now NC, and will move back to CA in January 2014.  I try to just keep in touch as many ways as possible, between daily phone calls and weekly Skype chats, we at least keep each other up to date as to what's going on.  I know it is so hard and I am so sorry you have to deal with that, especially with a new little one coming soon!  Let me know if you want any info on the base and area here.
  • Options
    I completely understand. My parents have always been supportive, but now that we're starting a family, I know it kills them that they're not close by. That's the thing about military families: even the extended family members have to make sacrifices. There's nothing you can do but to try to keep all lines of communication open, and have a guest bedroom ready in case they get the chance to visit!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you!  WE communicate more over the phone than in person and right now there is only a thirty minutes between us. I do look forward to moving, even if it does mean getting a new dr and delivering in an unfamiliar hospital.  We live somewhere cold and snowy right now and I love the fact that, when I give birth in December, I wont be competing with blizzards to get our baby to dr appts. 

As if gets closer, I am sure I will be asking plenty of questions about drs and such at Fort Bragg. Ive never even been to North Carolina- except for maybe the airport LOL

• Options

We're stationed at Bragg (since 2008) and probably will be forever if my husband secures the position he's currently trying to get. I live off post (and recommend that to anyone who gets stationed here.

I am not a "good" military wife so I don't know much about the things on post. I try to stay away as much as possible actually. There's not a ton of stuff to do here in Fayetteville, but most places aren't too far away if you don't mind driving a bit.

The OB I'm seeing at WAMC (the hospital on post) is super sweet. I don't know anything about any of the other providers, but I'm glad I got the one I did.

It was hard being away from my family who are in Texas, but there's always video chatting that can be done. It has definitely made things a lot easier.

Good luck with your move!

imageLilypie - (jv05)
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks! That means a lot! I have heard good things about WMAC but haven't seen any pictures of anything, With my daughter I got spoiled, we have a completely private labor and delivery room and a brand new modern recovery suite. It was fantastic! The only downside of moving while pregnant is that I cannot deliver my second in a familiar hospital- oh and theres nobody to babysit my little girl when I deliver #2. :(
  • Options
    Also at Fort Bragg and my husband and I are expecting our first in August. My inlaws are in CA and I wish we could be closer. We plan on skypeing and including them as much as is possible during the pregnancy and especially when baby arrives. My family is right up the road a couple hours away so I feel pretty lucky to have them nearby. Military life can be tough on everyone involved even extended family. Surround yourself with positive people as much as is possible and just know you aren't taking anyone away from family. You are however supporting your family/husband and unfortunately that means moving for now. Not sure if flying or travel is an option but we try to earn frequent flyer miles through Southwest Airlines so we visit as often as is possible. Good luck with everything. Womack has been good to us so far in terms of care/doctors/etc. We live off post in Hope Mills area and love it. We lived near post in Spring Lake at Waterford Apartments before we bought a house and they were really great although we had many friends warn us about Spring Lake. You may be surprised once you get settled in. Hopefully you'll meet some moms and FRG ladies that you are comfortable with. Maybe they could help with baby 1 when you go into labor with baby 2. Hope everything goes smoothly and best wishes on new adventures!
  • Options
    Congrats on your first baby! Thank you for the advice :). I'm hoping we can develop a nice support system before baby  #2 gets here. :)
  • Options
    I don't have much to say other than welcome to Ft Bragg! We are here too. Don't feel bad, it happens to everyone. They will still have a relationship with their grandkids no matter how far away they are. I grew up as a military bratt and I had a great relationship with all of my family members. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am expecting in Dec and live in the Ft Bragg area. My hubby is retired Army, but I don't go to on post hospital. But I have heard that its not bad. If your insurance will allow. Cape Fear is the off post hospital and I was originally thinking of having mine there! I am going to the UNC Women's hospital high risk clinic due to a complicated pregnancy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"