One & Done: Only child
Options

GTKY: Do you work outside the home?

It seems like a lot of moms on here cite "more time to focus on one child" or "not enough time for activities for more than one," which made me wonder if most of us are SAHMs or WMs.

I'm a lawyer and with my current job, which I love and plan on being at for as long as possible, I cannot fathom having enough energy for two kids when I come home and enough time to focus on each of them on the weekends.  L just started swim classes this weekend and between getting everyone ready, the lesson and getting back and changed, fed and put down for a nap that was over two hours of our day!  I also want to progress further in my career and am not sure I could do that with all the attention that two kids need.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: GTKY: Do you work outside the home?

• Options

I have a full time office job. I don't love it but I know I'll be there everyday to pick up DD by 5:30, I never get called off hours or on weekends, the benefits are great and the people are friendly.

Even with that ease, I'm not sure how I'd have the time or energy for more than one.

• Options

I am a graphic designer. I've been with my current company for 5 years and in my field for 12. I absolutely love what I do and hope to be with this company for a very long time.

We have such a good groove down on weekdays. I work M - F and DD and I are on our own most evenings. My husband works late most days during the week, but is off on Wednesdays so he stays home with DD that day and I even get to go to a yoga class in the evening. I feel like I have the best of all worlds right now and I wouldn't want to upset that balance.

I cannot imagine working all day and then having to take care of two by myself in the evening. No thanks. 

We started swim class on the weekend the other week! DD LOVES it!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am a teacher. I took seven months off when DS was born. I go in an hour early and stay an hour after the kids leave. Therefore, I don't have to bring too much home with me. I love teaching where I teach. Daycare cost is a big factor in our decision to be OAD.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I SAH for 16 months until an opportunity for a half time position in a large law firm came up. I worked there for just under a year and I'm back to SAH again. I've been home for over a week and I'm loving it. Definitely a lot better at this age than it was a year ago!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely work outside the home.  I am finally getting somewhere with my degree (that I'm still paying for and will be for awhile...one downfall of going to school later in life).  I was off all last week, a 'stay-cation' you could say, and it just drove home the fact that I could not be a stay at home mom!
  • Options
    DH and I both work M-F 8-4. Weekends are our time, because if I have to run errands after work some nights (like last night), DS is asleep before I get home. Those nights make me sad.
  • Options

Currently I'm a SAHM and I love it.  

I worked full time for a decade after college, and was really starting to dislike my chosen field when I got pregnant.  I decided to SAH with my daughter and have never regretted it.  

I think if I had career ambition I was passionate about I could be very happy being a working mom...but giving up time with my child to work at a job I dislike and find boring? Yeah, no.  I'll give up the extras my salary could buy us, so that I can be happy. 

C is 3 years old

• Options

Working mom.  I actually own a preschool (center).

I feel you on the swim thing ... my son is in swim on Thursday nights but my niece does Tuesday and Thursday.  Since she's in school with me, I take her to the lesson (and my sis meets us there).  It's not fun trying to get her ready, pick up mine from daycare, get them to swimming, have the lesson, get home, etc.

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageFianschneid:

I have a full time office job. I don't love it but I know I'll be there everyday to pick up DD by 5:30, I never get called off hours or on weekends, the benefits are great and the people are friendly.

Even with that ease, I'm not sure how I'd have the time or energy for more than one.

Sounds similar to me.  I genuinely enjoy my job, and its pretty laid back.  I can take off when I need to, no one will panic if I don't answer emails, sick days are not a total disaster.  I'm home by 5pm and don't work weekends.

And like PP, I still can't imagine handling a second kiddo.  I think my very happy family of 3 would become very stressed out.

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • Options
    SAHM here. I love being at home with Jacob but I miss contributing financially to the household. We just racked up some credit card debt because of a trip we took took back to IL to have him baptised. Since DH manages retail and is short staffed, I can't get a job because I never know when he will be home. We are out of state from all of our family and close friends and I don't have a babysitter. I'm not sure if it would matter because the kind of job I am looking for is probably pays the same amount I would pay a babysitter. :) I was an accounting manager for 8 years before SAH and I'm really done with that kind of work. I saw a job as a cashier at a car wash and that sounded perfect! Unfortunately it was days only. I'll keep looking though.
    =BFP#1 11/2009, It's a boy! 3/2010, Our Angel Ian born sleeping 7/3/2010 (cord accident 37w5d); BFP#2 1/2011, mmc confirmed 2/24/2011, incomplete natural mc so had D&C 3/11/2011; BFP#3 6/19/2011, natural mc 6/21/2011; BFP#4 7/15/2011, no hb at 7w5d, D&C 9/7/2011; BFP#5 2/6/2012, baby boy born on 9/27/2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers imageimageimage
  • Options
    I work outside the home. Academia, summers are flexible, which is nice. Lots of time at Christmas, too.
    Married 4/12/08 DS born 11/17/2009 via c-section at 39 weeks. 11/12/2011 BFP #2!! m/c 7w5d. 2/28/2012 BFP #3 Beta #1-12dpo = 18; Beta #2-16dpo = 185; Beta #3-18dpo = 505. EDD 11/10/2012. Ectopic discovered at 5w4d. D&C followed by methotrexate.
  • Options
    I'm a working mom (full time, Air Force) and I am with you that I don't know how'd I'd make time for more than one child. I love the time that I have with LO now, every minute is precious. Especially, being in the military.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I work outside of the home, although right now I am still on maternity leave. I also work in the legal field.
  • Options
    I work outside our home.  I'm a consultant in the education field. My career definitely affects my desire to be one and done.
  • Options

Both H and I work M - F 8-4:30. I love our routine. 

I went back to work when LO was 9 months and my H took the last 3 months of Maternity/Paternity Leave. I enjoy my grown up time at work but love the time I have with our son. I find I am a much better parent now and I feel we have a really good balance in our lives. We are still able to have time for ourselves, our spouse and our son.

• Options

I work full time. I have pretty great hours (7-3:30). My commute is about an hour though, and with daycare drop off/pick up, we leave the house at 5:50am and get home at 5pm.

I don't like my job, but I've been here for 10 years and have great benefits, so I can't complain too much.

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

• Options
    KL777KL777 member

I was a SAHM for nearly 3 years.  I've been a WM for a little over two years.  I work as an Academic Support Coordinator at a university, so we get a lot of breaks and a huge downtime period during the summer and late spring, which allows me to work part-time during those months.  I really enjoy what I do.  I cannot begin to fathom adding another child into what I juggle already.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options

I'm the breadwinner. I have a standard-hours career that I love very much. There are also regular business trips. Pay is terrible in the field, since it's a social service, but very fulfilling and I never considered staying home.

DH works evenings/weekends, which adds up to about 20 hours a week. It's also in his chosen went-to-college-for field, so that works very well for us. He's always been home with LO during the day. There's naturally a challenge in that we almost never have the other's help with LO, but at least DH had those shifts all along so we were accustomed to not seeing each other that often.

• Options
    I work full time as a teacher.  I love the balance and flexibility I have since I just have one.  Since I teach HS, I can take him to sports games and we live in the community so it is nice to see the two worlds interact every once in a while.  As much as I love my kid, I am not made to be a SAHM, but I do not have the energy to have more than one kid either.  So, everything is in good balance for me.
  • Options
    I'm an attorney. I barely have the energy to chase B after work. I can't imagine dividing my attention between two.
    BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

• Options

I work outside the home. I enjoy my job, but it can be pretty emotionally and intellectually demanding at times. DH also works full-time and long hours (he's kind of a workaholic) so most of the day-to-day childcare/housework goes to me by default. We also have activities some nights during the week, which we don't want to give up. I feel like I have just enough energy (most of the time) to balance work, DS, house, etc., but definitely not enough to add another child to the mix.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    <~ SAHM
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Options
    I'm a SAHM, this is a function of my DH's career, and our choice.  DH is military and we move frequently.  (We've been married almost seven years and we live in house number seven.). Getting a career position with each move would be challenging.  Then factor in needing flexibility for caring for a young child with no family nearby and no long term friends. . . Add in deployments two out of the last four years. . .  Being a SAHM is what works for us for now.  I will rejoin the work force at some point.  :)
  • Options

I own a photography studio. I (purposely) haven't booked anything since the end of September. She'll be 7 months next week.... it's getting to be time to get things going again. I do love my time home with her though!

Smudges, DH just got out.... but he took a job that's still 15 hours away from family, I totally understand the doing it on your own feeling! (And the endless moving! We're on house 3 in 3 years!)

• Options
    lujainlujain member
    I am a litigator.  I work part-time, 3 days a week at a small law firm.
  • Options
    meo34meo34 member

Yes.  I have a job I love and have advanced pretty far in my field.  I find it very rewarding.  I'm the first woman and the youngest manager to be promoted which is pretty cool.  But funny enough this gives me more flexibility as My work is well respected and no one questions if I need to stay home with my son or leave early etc.  they trust I will get it done.   

• Options
    I'm a mechanical engineer working full time. I love my job. I travel sometimes which is nice but I can also work from home if I need to. In the summer I leave early which is great so I can spend extra time with DD or do what I need to do. I'm also starting my Masters in the fall so I plan on going far with my career and I want to show DD that she can do whatever she wants to.
    Me: 38 BF: 35
    TTC Journey
    TTC since 1/2020
    AMA and poor sperm motility/count/morp
    5% chance of IUI success
    10/26/2021 - MC#1

Zoey Catherine
    10/17/2012 - 7/4/2018
    She fought DIPG (brain cancer) for 2 years
    #LETTHELIGHTSHINE
    http://zoeyslight.org/
    https://www.instagram.com/casey_steinv2.0/

• Options
    My boss allowed me to drop to 4 days a week.  I work for a Big 10 university and I love my job.  The 4 day a week schedule is PERFECT for me.  

• Options
    Ms.JadeMs.Jade member
    I'm a WAH mom.
  • Options
    Dh and I both work full time, although, I work an office job from Monday through Friday, 8-5.  Dh on the other hand, runs a radio station, so he can work all hours at the station.   It works out well, because he can take ds to the station with him, if I'm still at the office, and I occasionally do radio voice work for him from time to time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"