Breastfeeding

Tongue tie?

I'm wondering if my baby might be tongue tied, specifically a posterior tongue tie. Does anyone have any experience with tongue tie, diagnosis, breast feeding after, etc.? I'm very curious. I saw one lactation consultant today that suspects it and have a more experienced LC helping on Tuesday. I found one brief description online and it sounds similar to her issues. I've been pumping the last few days and trying to nurse without much luck. TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tongue tie?

• My LO was diagnosed with a posterior tongue tie! My LC suspected that was our problem [issues with him losing weight, falling asleep at the breast, mastitis, tanked milk supply, sore and cracked nipples, etc]. I had him evaluated by a pediatrician who specializes in breastfeeding and she immediately recommended we get it clipped.

I did a lot of research and we decided to go for it. I really want to be successful at breastfeeding and this is our last ditch attempt to save our breastfeeding relationship before I move on to exclusive pumping.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • hilsy85hilsy85 member

I would also see a pediatric ENT, as they are the ones who will be able to clip the TT if your LO has one. My LO was tongue tied (also a posterior tongue tie) and it was clipped at 2 wks old. It was the best thing we did! I don't think I could have breastfed if we hadn't done it, I only wish it had been done sooner as I had a lot of damage/trauma from nursing with a painful latch. 

ALSO make sure your Lo is checked for a lip tie--they often go with tongue ties and they also affect nursing/latch--it should be clipped at the same time as the TT.  

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD is almost 11weeks and I am finally going to see an ENT to see if she has a tongue tie.  We have been using a nipple shield for 7 weeks for my pain, but I am over it.  I'm hoping the ENT will be able to find what is causing the problem and help us move on to better feedings.  Good Luck!!
  • My dd was tongue tied too. She couldnt latch so we had it clipped before we were discharged. We went home and havent had a single problem since.
  • my LO had a tongue-tie diagnosed in the hospital by the pediatrician. we had it clipped before she came home and it greatly improved her latch.

if your LO has been nursing with it for a while now, you will need to retrain them to latch now that their tongue can move. This involved having them such on our finger and gently pushing on her tongue to train her to move it around.  After a few days of that she could lift her tongue and latch normally.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"