November 2012 Moms
Options

If you exclusively BF

How long is a nursing session?  Do you feed one side or both?

My DS used to nurse 30-40 minutes and that has gradually and understandably gotten shorter and shorter.  Now though, at 5.5 months, he eats for 5 maybe 10 minutes tops and then is done (I trying burping, waiting, switching sides several times, but he has no interest).  He is then usually ok to not eat again for close to 3 hrs.  Is he really that efficient of an eater?  He still nurses 2x in the middle of the night and I would love to try and stop those feedings, but I worry that he still needs those feedings considering his super short daytime feeds.

Thanks! 

Re: If you exclusively BF

• Options

My LO eats for about 7 minutes.  Ranges from 5 to 12.  So, i think it is possible that your LO is getting enough.

how long are his nursing sessions at night?  and how long in between?  my 5 month old goes one 4 hour stretch and one  5.5 hour stretch at night.  She nurses just as long during the night session as she does during the day so I think she still needs the midnight feed.

I'd phase the night feeds out one at a time-- I got rid of our 4am one by timing it for a few days, then unlatching her one minute earlier each day until there was no more time left. Then I sent DH in at those wakeups to shush her back to sleep without eating. 

• Options
    My sessions are short like yours now too as well.  Can you pump to see what your yield is per session?  Mine is between 6-10 ounces depending on the time of day.  Agree with PP that you can probably try to phase out the night feedings and in response your baby will probably consume more at last feed and first feed of day.

Me:36, DH:37

DS born 11/2012

BFP 7/26/14, Missed M/C at 8 weeks, discovered at 10 wks, 6 days, D&C 9/22/14, Dx: Partial molar pregnancy

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    GargitaGargita member
    imagefusionbride:

My LO eats for about 7 minutes.  Ranges from 5 to 12.  So, i think it is possible that your LO is getting enough.

how long are his nursing sessions at night?  and how long in between?  my 5 month old goes one 4 hour stretch and one  5.5 hour stretch at night.  She nurses just as long during the night session as she does during the day so I think she still needs the midnight feed.

I'd phase the night feeds out one at a time-- I got rid of our 4am one by timing it for a few days, then unlatching her one minute earlier each day until there was no more time left. Then I sent DH in at those wakeups to shush her back to sleep without eating. 

WSS, except H dropped his second night feed without me having to do anything.  At some point, he just decided he wanted to sleep more than eat.  Some nights he still gets up twice, but that's atypical.

image   My chart 

• Options
    kb&mbkb&mb member

I nurse him on both sides. Usually 5-7 mins on each side. He goes 3 1/2-4 hours between feeds. He eats 4 times per day and once in the MOTN (around 4 am) but I have weaned that one down to 3-4 mins total.

I think by weaning him off the night feeds one at a time, he will start consuming more during the day. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I usually only nurse one side, but my supply has dropped a bit so lately we have been doing two. It takes 5 to 10 minutes for each side. LO seems to have dropped his MOTN feedings. He's gone from 630 pm to 530 am without eating almost every night for over 2 weeks.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    CJ usually nurses between 7-20min. Sometimes one side and sometimes 2 sides. He still wakes once or twice a night too. I think they just get more efficient.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"