November 2012 Moms

Fussiness

My little one has been fussy all day long.  He is 5 and a half months (full-term).  How do I tell if it is because he is tired, teething, or having tummy issues?  Or maybe its a combination?

In all fairness he likely was tired and he does tend to fight sleep.  He slept last night from 9pm (usual) to 8am (usually up between 6am and 7am).  He usually takes a nap 2 or 2.5 hours after waking but today wouldn't nap until noon.  Then he napped until 2:30pm.  That was his only nap of the day.  He usually takes 3 naps, about 2 or 2.5 hours apart with the first two naps lasting 1.5 or 2 hours and the last lasting 30 mins to 45 mins.  So I do know he was tired but after having him on a somewhat consistent schedule I am wondering if he was fighting naps because of teething or a bellyache.  

I really can't tell if he is teething.  If I feel along his gums I feel the same thing I've been feeling for the last 2 months-nothing.  He has been drooling like crazy for the last 2 months.  He mouths everything.  We recently started him on baby food-just peas so far.  We started on Wednesday.  He behaved normally until today.  He did pass a bit more gas than usual this evening but I'm wondering if that was just because he ingested a bunch of air from crying.

Any ideas as to which is the mostly likely culprit?  TIA! 

Re: Fussiness

• You just never know. We can all make guesses. Benjamin sometimes fusses for reasons I'm unsure of. All you can do is rule things out. If its my LOs teeth he will usually chew on my fingers or paci. Have you taken babys temp?
    Hopefully it passes and you can get some relief. I know that we are all going through or coming up on a growth spurt which could be reason for it too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • zmosszmoss member

I am going with an initial diagnosis of baby-fussy-itis.

LJ was like this for awhile. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe growing pains if nothing else makes sense. 

Hope you get some rest tonight! 

imageimage"Image">image"Image">image
  • Loading the player...
  • jg1011jg1011 member

Could be a little of each! Sounds like the start of teething. On days its particularly bad this is how V behaves. However, when I first gave V the green veggies he had a couple of days of adjustment. They definitely made him more gassy. So it could be that. 

Its definitely frustrating not knowing!  Maybe tomorrow he will go back to a regular napping schedule for you so you can rule that out? 

Good luck! 

IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies.  It just drives me nuts not to know what's wrong.  Guess I better get used to it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"