Parenting after 35

XP: MaterniT21

After speaking with DH we're 95% sure we'd like this screening. My insurance would cover it except that our deducible hasn't been met so we're responsible for the $235 which we're okay with. From what I understand, the test is over $2000 but the company is only charging $235 in order to sort of "promote" it and to gain more participants. Please correct me if I'm misinformed on that! So basically, I want to be sure that $235 is still the max OOP right now. I would hate to be stuck with a $2000 bill for this. We're interested in results first and foremost, but the low cost is what's appealing to us as well. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, knowledge and/or experience with billing for this screening.

Lilypie - (dLe1)

***BFP 1-22-13, baby boy dx with Trisomy 13 at 15 weeks.

We let him go to Heaven on 4-27-13 at 17 weeks 1 day***

Lilypie - (AW2u)

Lilypie - (L84X)Lilypie - (D4Hj)

Re: XP: MaterniT21

• Never heard of it, which always makes me side-eye those kinds of things, especially if it's pushed by the pharmacuetical company and not your doctor.   I would also be super leery of anything invasive.

Really, will it give you any different information that other testing?  I could think of better ways to spend $235.

But good luck if you opt to do it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBrideBuddies:

Never heard of it, which always makes me side-eye those kinds of things, especially if it's pushed by the pharmacuetical company and not your doctor.   I would also be super leery of anything invasive.

Really, will it give you any different information that other testing?  I could think of better ways to spend $235.

But good luck if you opt to do it.

Thank you for your reply.  If it weren't for me being in my 1st trimester of pregnancy I wouldn't have know of it either.  My OB/GYN suggested it.  The company (lab) that is behind this test is called Sequenom.  (I don't believe it's a pharmaceutical company though.)  I want to say it's been around for a couple of years now and wasn't available when I was pregnant with DS.  Now that I'm in AMA (I'm 36) I'm considering it because it tests for Trisomy 13, 18 and 21 among other chromosomal defects.  It also can determine the sex if you're interested in knowing early or at all.  And since it's non-invasive (simply a blood test of the mother) I think it would put my mind at ease knowing my chances and to prepare if, God forbid, need be.  The link below explains the screening in case you're interested. Smile

https://www.sequenomcmm.com/Home/Health-Care-Professionals/Trisomy-21/About-the-Test

Lilypie - (dLe1)

***BFP 1-22-13, baby boy dx with Trisomy 13 at 15 weeks.

We let him go to Heaven on 4-27-13 at 17 weeks 1 day***

Lilypie - (AW2u)

Lilypie - (L84X)Lilypie - (D4Hj)

• Loading the player...
  • They will send you the original bill, but you just call them and tell them you were told you qualify for the $235 rate.   I paid directly over the phone with a CC--it was that simple.  Not sure why they don't just send the bill for the $235?  Maybe there are ppl out there that just pay that?  SO they take it when they can?
  • I'm neither an insurance expert nor a test expert, but the cost of the provider - the percentage your insurance pays = what you'll owe, not what the company marketing the test says you'll owe.

• This test was offered to me during my last pregnancy, and we absolutely would have done it (my pregnancy ended in m/c).  We did a CVS with DS and this is a great alternative as it is non-invasive.  The test would have cost us a little over $200 as you stated.  From what I read about it, some think that it will eventually replace invasive testing like the CVS as it becomes more wide spread.  Having said that, one of my reservations was that it is not as comprehensive as a CVS or amnio.  It's testing for the 3 trisomies (though predominantly Trisomy 21), but I'm pretty sure CVS tests for a lot of other genetic abnormalities as well. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I did MaterniT21 and the only costs involved was the $235. For me, it was totally worth it for the peace of mind. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • It is a brand new test, I saw a whole insert about it on the Today show and we decided to have it done as well...It was great finding out that everything is ok, and that we are having a little girl at 12 weeks:)
  • I did the test last March and my insurance said I was responsible since it was out of network provider or the whole $2k+, I called and they accepted $235 over the phone with a credit card as payment in full. GL

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You are correct.  I paid $235.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"