C-sections
Options

Reasons for RCS?

I had a c/s with DS since he was breech.  I went into labor the night before it was scheduled & was having pretty painful contractions that were close together (I honestly cannot remember if I was dilating or what was going on - it went so quick).  This time around I'm really on the fence about trying to do a VBAC or RCS.  My Dr is on board w/ whatever I chose, but told me he would not induce me - if things were not 'progressing' by 41 wks it will be another c/s...

That said - if you are planning a RCS what is your reasoning?  Any reason you wouldn't want to try the VBAC?  I'm thinking more about the recovery from the c/s & having DS - I would prob. recovery quicker from the vbac & be able to pick him up, etc.  But on the other hand my friends who've had a few kids say recovery from natural birth still takes up to 4 weeks...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Reasons for RCS?

• Options

I'm not a candidate for a VBAC. I had a classical incision, on the inside, with Aidan because of his gestational age, my uterus was too small to handle a regular cut.

Because of that type of incision there is a greater risk for abruption. Then with Lucas, they did the same type of cut instead of putting a T on my uterus.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    My first c/s was due to polyhydramnios and my 11lb. baby's position in the pelvis (her head and shoulder were stuck in my pelvis and, absolutely could not go through without damage). During my first c/s my doctor double stitched my uterus so that I would be a good candidate for a VBAC; however I did not wait the recommended time in between pregnancies to try. I have no qualms about it, my decision was to have my children close together regardless of my birthing experience. However, this LO is transverse anyway so it might not have mattered in the end.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

With DD, I had a scheduled CS, but my water broke 3 days before.  I labored, but had to be induced, since 8 hours after my water broke I was still just a fingertip dilated.  Each doses caused DD's heart rate to drop, and I never progressed more than 5 cm after a total of 18 hours, so they did the emergency CS.

All of this, coupled with DS being due less than 15 months after DD was born, led me to pick a RCS, no questions asked.  We are scheduled for 39 weeks exactly (I had IVF, so we are certain of the dates), since my doctor wants it sooner, rather than later, to avoid another emergency CS  (DD came at 39w3d, not that it means DS will necessarily come before 40 weeks, but no need to take chances). 

10/10: Married; 5/11: Dx: Blocked Fallopian Tube; 7/11: D&C/Hysteroscopy to remove polyp
    IVF #1: 9/11: ER: 12R, 11M, 10F, No Frosties; 5dt: 2 blasts, 1 morula; DD born 6/3/12
    IVF #2: 11/12-12/12: ER: 20R, 20M, 16F, 4 Frosties; 5dt: 3 blasts, DS born 8/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wish my hospital would allow VBAC.  I don't have a choice.  I have had two vaginal births and one c-section.  My c-section was planned and my recovery wasn't bad but I would still say vaginal was much easier.  I have a DS that will almost be 2 when I have the new baby and honestly I am not looking forward to the RCS.
  • Options
    I had a failed VBAC attempt with DS2 so I'm just going straight for the c-section this time. 
    **Baby #3 is on the way!**
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

With my first CS, I labored for close to 22 hours beforehand.  My recovery was terrible and I honestly believe it had more to do with the labor beforehand in combination with the surgery.  I chose to do a RCS because I didn't want a failed VBAC to end in a CS, because of the convenience of being able to pick a date, have DH take time off, and arrange childcare for my daughter.  If you're worried about the recovery of a CS, I will say that I was also worried abou this because of my previous experience, and it turned out to be a night and day difference the second time around.  I was up walking around about 8 hours afterward, and after a week felt about as good as I felt at the month mark with DD1.

Good luck with your decision!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• Options

imageSpoilmeposh:
    I wish my hospital would allow VBAC.  I don't have a choice.  I have had two vaginal births and one c-section.  My c-section was planned and my recovery wasn't bad but I would still say vaginal was much easier.  I have a DS that will almost be 2 when I have the new baby and honestly I am not looking forward to the RCS.

That is crazy that they won't support VBAC! Can you give birth at a different hospital? If you have a local ICAN chapter, they may be able to help you out. 

OP, I had a VBAC and my full recovery was a few weeks (I had a second-degree tear), but it was an easier/faster recovery all around. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    ZimgerZimger member

My doctor and I discussed the possibility of a VBAC but he also voiced his concern. The reason I had a csection is because my son could not descend down the birth canal at all. After my water broke his heart rate would drop with every contraction due to the cord being compressed with each contraction. He couldn't even drop properly. I have a bicornate uterus and an incredibly narrow pelvis. Alone either of these issues don't present a huge problem but together they prevented the baby from decending.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    capuletcapulet member
    I had a short but horrible labor before my emergency c/s with DD.  My recovery was fine.  I spaced out my pregnancies and was a perfectly acceptable VBAC candidate for #2, but I had no desire to experience vaginal birth or labor again so I chose to have an RCS.  The convenience of scheduling turned out to be not so convenient for me because my water broke early with DS and I did have to labor for a few hours, but whatevs.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    I stopped dilating at 7 and actually started digressing. I hit a fever and my body was just exhausted after that it had been over 30 hrs so we did a c/s for babys sake. So my dr. Doesn't really think I'm a good candidate. I'm fine with it because I'm soooo scared of tearing, especially if I have another 9 lb. Baby! My sis in law just had a vaginal delivery and was doing just fine only 3 days later. Recovery was difficult for me first time around and I'm more worried now that I have a 2 1/2 yo. A couple cousins of mine who have had rcs said recovery second time around was much easier. Only tip: make sure your toddler has step stools and anything else that will help avoid having to pick him/her up. I wont know how bad it will be for me until it happens since its different for everyone. Good luck!
  • Options
    With DD2 I started rupturing while still in prodromal labor. The plan had been to VBAC, but obviously that didn't work out. We're planning a 3rd and that will be a RCS. After already starting to rupture once, I don't think there's any way they would let me try a VBA2C even if it wasn't already against hospital policy (VBAC is the default, but once you've had a 2nd c/s, it's only c/s from there on out).

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"