Upstate NY Babies

Albany Area Birthing/Child Care Classes?

I'm expecting my first baby and am trying to decide if I should take a birthing class or a child care class at Albany Med or St Peters.  Has anyone taken any classes at either hospital and have any suggestions or thoughts?  Did you think they were worth it?

Re: Albany Area Birthing/Child Care Classes?

• I took a marathon birthing class at Samaritan Hospital (troy), one day, from 8:30-4pm. It cost $100 & I was reimbursed $15 from my insurance. I found the class informative & helpful. Yes, there were some exercises and areas that were not helpful, but overall, it did prepare us for the big day (in about a week) We also were given a tour of the birthing center & told what to expect on the delivery day- overall, I do think it was worth it. My hubby did as well.
  • I also took my class at Samaritan (the burdett care center).  I took a 6 week course.  It was definitely informative, most of it, I didn't even think about during labor, but as a first time mom I would still recommend it. 

I would definitely recommend the breastfeeding class at Burdett care center, if you plan on breastfeeding.  I don't know about you but I have heard horror stories about breastfeeding and was pretty nervous about it. But this class was amazing and the lactation consultant, Kelly is awesome! I learned so much in that class and breastfeeding has turned out to be the ONE easy thing haha

BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't take any classes. My OB delivers at St Peters or AMC, if I was his first patient that I could pick if he already had someone added at either of those hospitals then thats where i would go. It isn't too hard to walk into the hospital, read the sign as to what floor L&D is on and take the elevator up to that floor. The nurse who put in my IV asked if i had a birth plan and I said "yes, drugs and more drugs" she thanked me for not having some ridiculous list that never goes according to plan anyways. The lactation people usually work 7-3 m-f and the night nurses are awesome too as are the technicians with helping out. I didn't have any problems or issues by not taking a class. I guess if you want to go 'natural' and not have any drugs then maybe classes on techniques for that could help..... I guess you should ask yourself what you hope to gain or learn from the class and then see if the class would address that. 
  • I'm not familiar with either hosptial, but I think it depends on what type of person you are.  If you are more type-a or afraid of the unknown (as I tend to be) then it may make you feel more relaxed visiting the hospital, meeting a nurse or two, etc.  it may help your DH or SO too, since mine really didn't have a clue.  

We did the birth class and an infant care class, since neither of us had spent much time around newborns.  Both were helpful, I think more for DH than for me but still worth the amount of time they took.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Family life center.
  • I've had a number of friends do classes and deliver at St. Peter's. They rave highly of the services and care. DH and I plan to do our classes there but also do AMC's tour bc similarly to PP our OB/GYN delivers at both and recommended it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"