Homeschooling
Options

sonlight- reeks of desperation?

I've been getting some info on Sonlight in the mail and in my inbox.  I must have signed up for it along the way when I was looking into some supplementals to add to the kids day next year. 

Maybe some of you use this and can offer me a different perspective?  I'm getting a super off-putting vibe from this company.  I'm noticing guilt trippy phrases, stuff like, All parents want the best for their kids, why WOULDN'T you choose this curriculum for your babies?  and Some parents may not like to read to their kids but SONLIGHT PARENTS are willing to sacrifice their time for the good of their children.

Obviously not exact quotes.  But you get the gist.  Annoying.

And now they are using payment plans.  This is one of the most expensive curriculums I've come across.  

What are your thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: sonlight- reeks of desperation?

• Options
    I know what you mean, but I would try to overlook that and focus on their curriculum if you think it would be the right fit.  We used their preschool curriculum for two years and it uses some really great books.  There are a lot of books so I think that's why the cost is higher than others.  The first year I used their list and bought the books separately, and honestly I couldn't find them much cheaper on my own.  I won't be using them this next year though.  We're trying Ambleside Online for 1st grade- you might look into that.  It's a similar style to Sonlight, but non-commercial, and uses a weekly schedule rather than daily.  The curriculum is completely free but you have to procure the books yourself.
  • Options
    I have a friend who used it for their kids and she let me borrow some of the teaching manuals to see what is up.  In looking through, it doesn't seem like anything too special.  Definitely not worth the price.  I feel like I can get the same quality curriculum using My Father's World and just supplement with books from the library if I want to.  It's just way too pricey.  I don't see how the average homeschooling family (assuming that most of them have a lot of kids) can afford it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have used Sonlight the last 3 years and we love it.  It is nice that you can use it for 1/2 year and still return it if it does not work for your family. 
    Me - 38 (Endo, DOR) DH- 41 Married in 2003, TTC for 6+ years Dec 2012 - Lap, both tubes removed Jan 2013 - IVF #1 - MDLF, Cancelled March 2013 - IVF #2 - Antagonist - cancelled after ER May 2013 - IVF #3 - TPP Antagonist W/HGH
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"