1st Trimester
Options

Laying out in the sun?

I live in Key West and go to the beach very frequently.  I went today and didn't even consider the fact that it could be harmful while I'm pregnant? I only stayed for an hour and a half and didn't let myself get overheated.  Should I stop my beach habit for a while? 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Laying out in the sun?

• Options
    Your skin may be much more sensitive, and yes, you need to watch for overheating. Bring an umbrella that you can go under if you get too warm, bring and drink lots of water, and SUNSCREEN. I went from wearing SPF 4 oil usually, to needing SPF 15 while pregnant.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LMCB12LMCB12 member
    I don't think you need to stop going, just be more aware of how you are feeling. Drink a lot of water and listen to what your body tells you. Your skin is more sensitive to sun exposure so make sure and protect yourself.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagemabenner1:
    Your skin may be much more sensitive, and yes, you need to watch for overheating. Bring an umbrella that you can go under if you get too warm, bring and drink lots of water, and SUNSCREEN. I went from wearing SPF 4 oil usually, to needing SPF 15 while pregnant.

That's the same thing I use. the SPF 4 tanning oil from Banana Boat.   So I just need at least an SPF 15? I read today on a medical website that I need at least an SPF 60.  I mean I'll do whatever it takes to take care of my little baby, but I'd like to at least get some sort of sun if I'm laying out in the heat! :)

• Options
    SPF, shade (umbrella or a big hat), lots of ice water and a good book. You should be fine. If you start to feel overheated then head inside for a blast of AC. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageProudmommy010314:

imagemabenner1:

That's the same thing I use. the SPF 4 tanning oil from Banana Boat.   So I just need at least an SPF 15? I read today on a medical website that I need at least an SPF 60.  I mean I'll do whatever it takes to take care of my little baby, but I'd like to at least get some sort of sun if I'm laying out in the heat! :)

Trust me, I get you, I live at the beach too. And it sucks when you're pregnant. I mean, there's a chance you won't fry, but I did. It was rough. And I guess because I was pregnant, it was so much more tender, and swollen then just a regular burn. SPF 60 is outrageous for an adult, and I wouldn't bother with anything higher than 30 anyway. I used 15 and was good-hope the same works for you.

• Options
    The other thing to be aware of is the possibility of melasma/chloasma/pregnancy mask (which, it turns out, is a possibility for a PNW non-sunbather).  And i don't remember if anyone mentioned it, but stay on top of hydration, too.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    I experienced this while in Aruba on vacation. I usually am not very sensitive to the sun but I totally burned after laying out for just a few minutes. Be careful! The hormones make you more sensitive. 
                                                                Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

Met 9/2001
    Engaged 3/15/2006
    Married 5/19/2007
    DD 12/12/13
    DS 6/6/2016

M/C 9/29/18 @ 6w
     BabyFruit Ticker
    Our little tie breaker due 8/1/19!  <3

• Options

I am a very pale, naturally toe-headed, person and obviously I burn easier than most. But, I noticed my lips and face got burnt after just 20 minutes out in the sun the other day even with my normal spf 15 face moisturizer on. We really are more sensitive to getting burnt while pregnant. 

No one ever died from pale skin - but people do die from skin cancer.. just sayin. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    JdLB82JdLB82 member
    it is not outrageous for an adult to wear SPF60 at all, that is what I wear on my body whenever I am out in the sun. I burn very easily, I actually got 2nd degree burns (according to the doctor) last summer while at the beach so I am very careful. If there was something higher than SPF60 I would definitely use it. My dr, my ob and my endocrinologist all told since being pregnant that your skin is much more sensitive while pregnant so to take extra precaution. 
  • Options
    imageSing2phins:
    I think everyone needs higher than SPF 15 - skin cancer is no joke - but you should check with your doctor. 
    This, too.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    imageJdLB82:
    it is not outrageous for an adult to wear SPF60 at all, that is what I wear on my body whenever I am out in the sun. I burn very easily, I actually got 2nd degree burns according to the doctor last summer while at the beach so I am very careful. If there was something higher than SPF60 I would definitely use it. My dr, my ob and my endocrinologist all told since being pregnant that your skin is much more sensitive while pregnant so to take extra precaution.nbsp;

There used to be spfs higher, but anything over 45 has been proven to not be any stronger. All it does is reduce the frequency in which you need to apply it.
  • Options
    imageGhostMonkey:

imagemabenner1:
    imageJdLB82:
    it is not outrageous for an adult to wear SPF60 at all, that is what I wear on my body whenever I am out in the sun. I burn very easily, I actually got 2nd degree burns according to the doctor last summer while at the beach so I am very careful. If there was something higher than SPF60 I would definitely use it. My dr, my ob and my endocrinologist all told since being pregnant that your skin is much more sensitive while pregnant so to take extra precaution.nbsp;

There used to be spfs higher, but anything over 45 has been proven to not be any stronger. All it does is reduce the frequency in which you need to apply it.

Wrong.&nbsp;
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22463921

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Then why don't they sell them anymore?
    https://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/fashion/14SKIN.html?pagewantedall_r0
  • Options
    Just be careful and use SPF and REAPPLY it often. I went in the sun this weekend with SPF 30 spray. That normally is fine for me. Well..i think I have a sun rash. Its beautiful....splotchy looking red rash all over my body and FACE! I need to call the OB about taking anti-itch creams...it stinks :( I have never had this before.
  • Options
    No adult should be wearing tanning oil...this isn't the 90s anymore. You should know better.
  • Options
    SayAXOSayAXO member

I was told to not let my core body temp get to high. I would not lay out, but I would think it would be okay to be in a pool....

GL 

• Options

I appreciate all the positive feedback answering my question.  

I don't understand why some felt the need to be rude.  I know this isn't the 90's anymore......but I still enjoy using oil to darken my skin a little bit and I feel like that's my choice to make.  What you do with your body is your business and I would never talk down at you for NOT using the oil.    Even if you feel you are 100 % right, you can still be polite about your opinion.  

• Options
    KateMW I'm assuming this is a support website? Why would you post people should know better just because they have a different opinion on what to use while tanning? Grow up and support other women in need instead of making yourself look like a complete "butthole" when everyone else here is trying to give helpful advise. Pathetic.
  • Options
    imageProudmommy010314:

I appreciate all the positive feedback answering my question.  

I don't understand why some felt the need to be rude.  I know this isn't the 90's anymore......but I still enjoy using oil to darken my skin a little bit and I feel like that's my choice to make.  What you do with your body is your business and I would never talk down at you for NOT using the oil.    Even if you feel you are 100 % right, you can still be polite about your opinion.  

I, personally, would use a 50SPF or so while pregnant at the beach but that is mostly due to the fact that I will burn on top of my darkest tan. Having said that, I would most likely limit my sun bathing while pg. Like PPs said, your skin will be more sensitive to sun while pregnant...and let me tell you being sunburnt while pregnant is no.fun.at.all. 

V|V TSP V|V
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"