October 2011 Moms
Options

Going up/down stairs

LCass' post about moving got me wondering.  L still doesn't know how to go down stairs. She can climb up the whole flight of stairs with no problem, but has trouble going down even one step into our screen porch.

I'm not really sure how to even teach her how to go down the stairs...  how did you ladies show your LOs to go downstairs?

Also, is there any LOs who aren't going up/down stairs?

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Going up/down stairs

• Options
    LCassLCass member

We started Lily off going down the stairs crawling backwards.  As she would get to the top step we would say "Turn!" and she would swing her leg over and crawl down feet first.  It helped that we only had 2 steps (sunken living room).  She then got brave and started walking down them, holding the rails with both hands.

In the new house we're teaching her to bump down on her bum because the rail is a bit too high for her to hold onto safely.  I think that the crawling backwards was a better way to do it, though, and that's what I would recommend for L.  Looking down the whole flight of stairs tends to scare her a little, and if she falls this way she'll go head over feet whereas the other way she would've basically just slid down on her belly.  But MIL started this bumping thing with her, and it's the only way she's prepared to go down at the moment (most of the time she asks for "up" though).

BFP #1: July 12, 2010 Natural M/C: July 26, 2010

BFP #2: January 30 ,2011 Born: September 29, 2011

BFP #3: January 5, 2013 Born: August 25, 2013

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_sleep4&T=t_b22&D=20110929&M1=&D1=&T2=Our+Rosh+Hashanah+baby!&T1=Lily&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_baby7&T=t_b14&D=20130825&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Sammy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

• Options
    I did belly crawl with both kids. The stairs are the only thing I hate about having hardwood floors. Lo is fortunately too lazy to really try to go down them unless she drops something one or two down.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    joolz17joolz17 member

Ugh, G loves going up and down the stairs. He used to crawl up and crawl down facing backwards, which was a-okay.

However, the last few months ALL he wants to do is walk up and down like a grown up regular person. He knows he needs a hand to do it, luckily, but one day soon I just know he isn't going to wait for a hand, and he's going to just step.

• Options
    Shes fine going up but down is still scary. she can only do it very slowly while holding my hand and the railing/wall with the other.  She still almost always wipes out. She figured out on her own how to go down on her butt and will do that sometimes at the playground.  
    imageimage

• Options
    jwls84jwls84 member
    imagejoolz17:
    Ugh, G loves going up and down the stairs. He used to crawl up and crawl down facing backwards, which was aokay. nbsp;However, the last few months ALL he wants to do is walk up and down like a grown up regular person. He knows he needs a hand to do it, luckily, but one day soon I just know he isn't going to wait for a hand, and he's going to just step.

All this. We started with teaching him on his bum first. I found that works best if it is just a step or two. For a whole flight of stairs I would teach him on his belly, I feel it is safer for some reason. All in all stairs just make me nervous because he thinks he is an adult and doesn't care to use either his bum or belly!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My inlaws have one step down into their family room and she just got the hang of it there.  She doesn't walk down stairs she crawls down.
    siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Options
    DD goes down on her tummy and basically flies down the stairs. Only inside though. When she is going up/down outside stairs she uses the railing and sometimes holds hands but walks down like a grown up would..
  • Options

We play the "Big Step" game.  :)  Brooke loves stepping up and stepping down.  We practice on a one step landing which really doesn't have a "big step" but for her, anything down is big. 

As for a true set of stairs, she can come down backwards but we don't let her do it often.  Our steps are a but tricky with the gate at the top.  She also knows how to scoot down the steps on her behind but while holding my hand.

All you can do is practice.

• Options

We also started out with him going down backwards, or crawling down.

And then he progressed onto holding the rail with one hand, holding my hand with the other and stepping down.  I do have to remind him to hold on to the rail all the time, but at least if he slips/misses, I've got a little control of the situation.

On the playground I let him climb the structures by himself and he does a combo of crawling down backwards or holding on to the rail with both hands and side-stepping down.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"