Special Needs
Options

play therapy- typically not supervised by parent?

our son has a lot of transition/anxiety kinds of issues w/ some other quirkiness... many  behaviors of perhaps ADD down the road, a few things that could fit in a high functioning ASD diagnosis though none of the big criteria at this time...he will be 4 this summer... we are struggling w/ some parenting things with him but not at a point where we feel he should be re-evaluated (he was evaluated by a child psychiatrist in october who referred us to get some parenting type counseling for tips on how to effectively deal with his transition problems and when he gets upset...

we saw a family therapist recently who would like to try some sessions of play therapy with him to get to know him & what makes him tick & what might work with him...but the parent is not allowed/supposed to be present in the play therapy room... is this typical? I get from the standpoint of the parents' presence potentially interfering with the purpose (and to be honest if my husband went he would be that parent that interfered b/c in past evaluations for speech & also w/ the psych he would try to prod & cue my son when they would ask him things, which annoyed me so I'm sure it really annoyed the people doing the evals LOL... but it would be me who would probably be there for the visits anyway) but at the same time with him being pretty young, I feel a little weird not being able to see what she is doing/asking and how he is responding, etc. 

Re: play therapy- typically not supervised by parent?

• Options
    I dont think its weird at all. My daughter is two and does a group that is part speech therapy, part floor time therapy, part social skills therapy with two other kids alongside a slp/ot/general educator. We separate from the kids for a large part of it including the play portion. It works well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My DS is about to start a speech therapy/ social skills program that is 2.5 hours a day. Parents are not allowed in the therapy room at all. Luckily they have an observation room where parents can watch therapy.  

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't sit in on my son's speech therapy (also play based) and I don't sit in with him when he is with his psychologist (although I did for the first 2 sessions for both of our comfort levels).

I agree that parents can be a distraction.  I also think you have to be comfortable with your providers so you feel at ease when your child is alone with any adult one-on-one.

• Options

I use to sit in DS's OT therapy sessions for awhile until I was comfortable and our OT switched days and DH had to go instead of me.

Other than that DS goes in by himself for Speech, OT and ABA. Sometimes the ABA needs me to be in there for some activities.

I do need to talk to the ABA and behavioral therapist more because DS can't communicate. I do go into all DS's behavioral therapy sessions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    finsupfinsup member
    Yes that is pretty typical.  I think for younger kiddo's parents are more likely to stay but at age 4, its usually without.
  • Options

Hmmm. That's pretty much the opposite of our experience. We've done Floortime with two different professionals and it has definitely involved participation from me and sometimes, DD2. Part of the therapy was teaching me how to guide interactions outside the professional's office, which was invaluable. I was never treated as a distraction. 

Those were one-on-one situations; for group play therapy, I drop off and leave. I'd be fine with a couple of one-on-one sessions sans-parents so the professional can get a sense of DD1, and I expect as she gets older she'll do more and more on her own; but I'm limited in learning what supports her if I'm not there. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Options
    Thanks all... I think I would like to request to observe maybe the first two times to better understand what it entails and I sort of think if she pushes back a lot on that then it might not be a good fit for us... Plus as someone said I feel like part of it should be about us learning to interact and practice things with him.
    My impression of the play therapy is that it is a specialty that you can become certified in and it is used to help kids with emotional self regulation and coping? I am going to ask a few more questions but I think they try to help identify coping strategies that work for individual kids and maybe triggers?
  • Options
    image-auntie-:

When DS sees/saw his psychologist, I seldom sat in on the sessions until he was nearly an adult. He was 6 when we started. His dev pedi sometimes saw him one on one as well.

Typically we had a session with just the psych and I either before of after DS's session. When we did Floortime and even CBT under his supervision, the psych worked with me apart from DS almost exclusively. He asked me to demonstrate a few behavior mods we were doing once or twice.

What exactly is "play therapy" and how will it translate to transition skills?

this was my experience with floor time as well- the instructor speaks with me prior to the session to give me an idea of what she's working on then we separate. I watch from a double sided mirror but don't physically stay with dd. when I'm there dd naturally clings to me more but when we separate they get much more out of her. 

• Options
    Yes, it's typical. I have an MA in Counseling and am auditing Counseling Children and Adolescents this semester so I've been learning all about play therapy. It's common for it to be just the therapist and child in the room, though like pp's mentioned sometimes parents can observe through a one-way mirror. I understand how you feel though; one of my boys has had PT, OT, feeding therapy, etc., and I was present for almost every session. I'd have a hard time at first not being in the room but I understand it can be helpful for therapy purposes if it's *just* the child and the therapist in the room.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    Thanks all... I talked to her and she definitely envisioned a long term relationship with the first six sessions being the assessment period... But unfortunately she is moving office space in a month to a location that would be at least 20 minutes in the opposite direction of his daycare and my work and would mean that I would be driving and being there for likely 2 1/2 hrs each time either from 83011 am or 245530pm and I don't think I can work that out w my work schedule and getting my daughter to and from daycare and everything else so I am back to square one to find someone new... Which is maybe ok bc I was on the fence about this situation anyway ... Argh.
    Also off topic a little but anyone have tips for getting insurance to cover anything like this without a true diagnosis the psychiatrists dx was anxiety related to adjustment disorder I believe... Would I have better luck going with a psychologist vs a lcsw or family therapist, etc or does it not matter really, it will just depend on what type of diagnoses they cover?
  • Options
    An Adjustment Disorder with Anxiety should be covered by insurance.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"