July 2013 Moms

DTAP

At my last dr. appointment my doctor advised me and my husband to get the DTAP vaccine. She also indicated that to the extent grandparents or others would be around baby early on that they should get the vaccine too.

I talked to my parents about this over the weekend and their comment was that I was being overly protective and that they are "up to date on their vaccines so they are fine."  A few questions for you ladies:

1. Have you received the same advice from your doctor or pediatrician?

2.  What position are you taking with family on this issue?

3.  Assuming you have a relationship that is difficult with your family as to I (I try not to rock the boat, but this is important) how would you handle their response?  Be satisfied, get more information, or ???

Thank you!!! 

Re: DTAP

• I would get more information about it first. I got it after I delivered my DD before we left the hospital, but they never told me to have my husband or any other family member get it.

Also alot of my friends have given birth in the past 3 years and they all got it but not their S/O or any other family members.

Make sure its really neccessary before creating an argument.

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Thanks! I guess I should start by actually spelling the name of the vaccine accurately!  ha  Thank you.

My mom is planning on staying with us right after delivery for about 2 weeks.  Not sure if that qualifies.  My husband's family that live locally and will be around more often are totally on board with this so I'm not worried about them.  Just my family.

Thanks for the insight so far.  Anyone else?  I suspect this also might be a geography thing - I'm on the east coast, but I know middle America this isn't quite as big of an issue (the outbreak of whooping cough is what has caused the CDC to make this recommendation).

• Loading the player...
  • I got it a few weeks ago.  So did my husband (when he told his doc I was pregnant his doc said he needed to get it and so should grandparents or anyone that's going to be around baby a lot).   My doc reiterated what my DH's doc said.  But if they are up to date on their vaccines that shouldn't be an issue.   For my DH he had no idea when the last time he got it was (probably not since he went to college over 10 years ago).

I live like 6 hours from my parents so I won't see them all the time, but my mom will hopefully stay for a week here and there so I do what her to get it (she has to check her records).   My  MIL also said she'd get the shot (she lives closer and will probably see baby a lot)

My parents would do anything I ask if I said the doctor said it's best for the baby. I don't know why people would question  what the doc said.     But maybe confirm with doc that if they are up to date if that's OK or what is technically up to date.  

From the CDC: 

Cocooning. ACIP recommends that adolescents and adults (e.g., parents, siblings, grandparents, child-care providers, and health-care personnel) who have or anticipate having close contact with an infant aged <12 months should receive a single dose of Tdap to protect against pertussis if they have not previously received Tdap. Ideally, these adolescents and adults should receive Tdap at least 2 weeks before beginning close contact with the infant.

Trying for #2 since November 2015

DS #1 - 7/25/13

• cjm724cjm724 member
    I asked my OBGYN at my appt today about that, and he said that I will get it before I leave the hospital after I deliver.  He said the data is inconclusive whether or not you will pass on your immunity to your baby, and it's better to wait until after you have delivered.  He said this was important in my case to wait until after I deliver especially because I am not fully vaccinated against pertussis to begin with because I had a reaction to the vaccine when I was little.  He does not want me to have a bad reaction while pregnant.  Also, he said DH will have to be current on his vaccination by the time baby arrives as well.
  • imageericarae78:

1. Have you received the same advice from your doctor or pediatrician? My OBGYN gave it to me at my last check up.

2.  What position are you taking with family on this issue? Since Pertussis is going around my state pretty bad...if you want to see or hold my baby, you will need to be updated. I am so not risking that.

3.  Assuming you have a relationship that is difficult with your family as to I (I try not to rock the boat, but this is important) how would you handle their response?  Be satisfied, get more information, or ??? They should be responsive to YOU, in my opinion. It's YOUR baby...and the safety of your baby comes first, regardless of how your family feels.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageericarae78:

1. Have you received the same advice from your doctor or pediatrician?
    Yes. Get the TDAP ASAP. 

2.  What position are you taking with family on this issue?
    Get the shot or wait to see the kid. Sorry, hurt feelings are easier to deal with than a kid in the NICU or PICU with whooping cough. 

3.  Assuming you have a relationship that is difficult with your family as to I (I try not to rock the boat, but this is important) how would you handle their response?  Be satisfied, get more information, or ??? Its a yes or no question IMHO. Did you get the shot or not? If you haven't then will you? Yes or no. Unless they have some valid medical reason to not get the shot then if the answer is no then you tell it them straight. They will have to wait to see the kid. Its not about them. Its about you being an advocate for your baby. I don't give a shiit about rocking the boat. I'll rock the whole damn earth to advocate for my kids' health. Especially when they are too small and helpless to do themselves. You can call me whatever you want or flame me to high heaven. I DGAF. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagecjm724:
    I asked my OBGYN at my appt today about that, and he said that I will get it before I leave the hospital after I deliver.  

I would double check with your hospital about this FYI. It is not an automatic thing. Last time I assumed the same (that I would get it at some point during my hospital stay). The nurse and doctors told me I had to ask because not everyone vaccinates. So please check and don't assume its an automatic thing.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• No flaming here, I appreciate the insight!!  The reaction I have received is "I am up to date with my shots" don't worry.  I feel like I need to dig deaper to understand what that really means....  Its so frustrating that "grandparents" that gave me such a hard time that I had not had kids yet get their first opportunity to do something for their first grandchild and they can't even just accept the directive and do it wihtout pushing back, being difficult, etc.  grrrr
  • I am very lucky. My dr told us the same thing about the dtap. My husband went right out and got it, and both of our parents are willing to get it.

I kind of felt that it was a little over protective, but it sure beats the hell of having your newborn in the nicu with breathing complications.
    Emily
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"