Special Needs
Options

Any suggestions for starting speech therapy at home today?

I'm in the process of waiting to get my LOs evaluated for hearing and speech delay.

My 3.5yo S is basically stuck at 15mo ability and he will receive a hearing test next week to begin evaluating where the issues stem from.

His 2yo sister is developing her speech better, but still way behind. 

I want to do all I can to help them now, are there any resources you would recommend for help at home?

I'm completely lost as to where to start and definitely stressed about it all. I want them to be able to communicate with words so much better, for their sake as they approach school age.  Sad

Re: Any suggestions for starting speech therapy at home today?

• Options
    The best hung you can do is talk a lot. Narrate your day and what you're doing. Get on the floor and play. Puzzles can be great practice. Keep all the pieces out of Los reach. Let him/her choose from two pieces. As you're saying the words, put the puzzle piece near your mouth so they're forced to watch your mouth and the way it moves to form the word. You can do this activity with shape sorters, farm toys, etc. see if you can get lo to mimic sounds. Start with simple things like uh-oh, mmmmm if something is tasty, etc. when those are mastered, move onto simple sounds like b,p,m sounds. Baa for sheep is an easy one to start with. Use bubbles and try to get lo to say pop.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKC_13:
    The best hung you can do is talk a lot. Narrate your day and what you're doing. Get on the floor and play. Puzzles can be great practice. Keep all the pieces out of Los reach. Let him/her choose from two pieces. As you're saying the words, put the puzzle piece near your mouth so they're forced to watch your mouth and the way it moves to form the word. You can do this activity with shape sorters, farm toys, etc. see if you can get lo to mimic sounds. Start with simple things like uh-oh, mmmmm if something is tasty, etc. when those are mastered, move onto simple sounds like b,p,m sounds. Baa for sheep is an easy one to start with. Use bubbles and try to get lo to say pop.
    Simple enough! Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The pediatrician and the speech therapists that DS have had have suggested reading books. I read one book a night. If they keep grabbing their favorite one to read, first read a different book and then the favorite one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    First read to them new words vary the books 15-20 min per kid a night.  Then second talk narrate everything it seems silly.  Everything you do.  Then use bubbles to work on words.  Say the word blow bubbles close bubbles. Have them repeat.   Spend time places like zoos parks children museums.   Then work on the current sound meaning don't correct or overdo it. Do words everyday in a fun way 10-15 min will really help imitate what therapist does the more confident they get the more they'll talk.   My daughter wasn't talking bc of articulation disorder she was 2.5 first 6 months was spent getting her to talk.  3 years later still in speech looking by the end of next summer probably be done with speech.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"