Birthday Parties

Controling the budget

I'm having a difficult time not spending all our money on DD's first brithday. I've had to stop myself from buying everything from custom tutu's to personalized banners. How did you decide enough was enough and everything was perfect and special? What did you choose to have custom and others generic? I'm also looking for ideas of uniuqe personalizations, not just a onesie with her name on it.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Controling the budget

• I think with most parties, it's easy to get carried away and drop a lot of money on lots of little things that people don't notice.  I think the most important things are to make sure you have enough food and drink to keep people happy and enough chairs, shade, etc for them to be comfortable.  Then, make sure you have activities for kids if there will be any in attendance.  Last, think of your theme, and go for a few items that make a big impact.  A table with a cake as the centerpiece and a banner overhead makes a big statement, balloons, streamers,and tissue Pom poms are cheap and make a big statement.  Also, just using colored table clothes and paper goods, which are very inexpensive, make a big effect.

I would think about your cake and menu and set a budget for each, and then set aside a reasonable amount of money that's affordable to you for decorations.  Start with big impact things like a banner, balloons, and streamers, and stop spending when you hit your budget.  Honestly, you could get the things I mentioned for about 50 bucks, make cake, pasta dishes, side salads for another 50, and a little extra for munchies, drinks, and favors, and have an awesome party. 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think you just have to be realistic with what you want to spend, and what you can afford to spend.

I wouldn't take out a line of credit for a first birthday, but every one has their own line as to what they want to spend.  I didn't worry about tutus, and I tried to make a lot of stuff myself, because it seemed silly to spend money on paper goods (banners, month clips, party hats, etc) that I could do myself.

I didn't worry about unique clothing personalization, because really, after his birthday my son never wore his birthday "I am one!" shirt again. And I don't really like kid's names on their clothing for safety reasons.

I made a happy birthday banner, a 1st birthday party hat, an "I am one" banner, and the monthly photo display.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto everything PP said!  I would identify two or three items that you want to splurge on.  Food is usually the biggest expense and you don't want to skimp on what you are serving your guests just to add to the decorations.   Beyond that, one really impactful decorative item will be enough to set the tone, and matching paper accessories will tie it all together.

I did go on to etsy and found someone who designs invites and coordinating accessories. So I bought those and will have to spend money printing them. But I think it'll tie our party together nicely and it isn't like I'm renting a bouncey house or anything.  The party will be in our backyard - a pool party in July. DH is making all the food and I'm going to force myself to bake since birthday cakes are now going to be an at-least annual event from here on out and I don't want to spend $30 or easily more on a professional cake. 

Here is the website in case you are interesed: https://www.etsy.com/people/GwynnWassonDesigns

• I make everything myself (everything)so when I run out of time I stop spending money.  I think I typically spend around 400 on a birthday party.  On that budget which many will deem small we have thrown some awesome parties. 

I usually draw up a budget for food an then see what  where to go from there.  We make most of our decorations from cardboard(free) and get paint for free from our recycling center.

Also for favor I make treats and package them up to send home in fun packaging.

1. I hate when my kids get crap from birthday parties
    2. people always forget their goody bags and them I'm stuck with stupid toys.
    3. Food is cheap and creative

siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • We did a huge birthday party with lots of details but I themed the food and we didn't have enough room. It was a huuuuge mistake. The party was super cute, but no one noticed and I don't think people had much fun.

We did his 2nd birthday with less people, more structure, better food, and while there was a theme, it was pretty simple. I spent a lot less money, too. I did a name banner, a flag banner, balloons, confetti, cupcake toppers, water bottle labels, and a tin sign. I ordered everything on Etsy or did it myself and spent less than $100.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I totally understand.  For my son's first I wanted to go all out.  But I quickly realized I could spend a fortune and he would never even know it or appreciate it.  So I got him a my first birthday shirt and crown to wear, cause he will never wear it again.  Got a big cake from local store for about $35, did pizza and drinks for everyone and tokens for all the kids, we did it at a pizza/play place. It was easy and even though I did spend a bit of money I went to the dollar store and got all the colorful paper products and tablecloths and such, then got a bouquet of balloons and some gift bags, and called it done.  I would say that pick one or 2 things you really want for your child and splurge on them, then cut back on some decorations and such.  Just make sure you have enough food, drinks, and seating for everyone and they will enjoy it. 
  • We are there... I start out with a vision and that vision is usually expensive. 

Ditto what PPs said and also try and think of alternative. For example, we are doing a carnival theme 3rd birthday so we are making some games ourselves. I initially wanted to hire a clown/balloon twister and a face painter, but we bought a clown costume (and accessories) for FI to wear and a balloon twisting kit. He just looked up stuff on YouTube and has practiced. Altogether, we spent $50 on all of that versus the $150 for a clown. My SIL works at a daycare and loves kids, so she is doing facepaint. All we had to do was buy the Face paint and spent $10 on that.

• Sorry if any of this is repeated.

- I would reach out to family members and friends for any decorations you can borrow.  For example, if I wanted those huge colorful paper lanterns to hang from the ceiling I would call up DH's cousin.  If I want tall clear jars to put candy into for a candy buffet I would call up my friend.  A lot of the decor I use, down to the tablecloths, in any party I host are borrowed. 

- I typically like to have the food catered since our "small" party usually consists of 40-50 guests.  But for things like salad and mac 'n cheese I purchase or make myself to help cut the cost down a bit.

- I like to plan the parties way in advance (think 6 months- almost a year) so I can take advantage of sales that might come along.  I also use Michael's Crafts 40% off coupon and slowly buy things there for cheap.

- Oriental trading will be your BFF.

- Enlist a relative/friend that's savvy with graphic designs to help you make a lot of things like invitations.  I always scour the internet for invitation ideas and then pick one as inspiration for DH to create.  I think have it printed as a 4x6 photo for cheap, sometimes with a coupon.  There have been times that it only cost me $0.09/print.

- Scour the internet for deals, another reason I plan way in advance.  I hate feeling pressured if I plan only a couple months in advance.  I then feel impulsive and start buying things in-store when I could probably find it for much cheaper on line if I had more time.

- If you're willing to put in the time and won't care too much if it's not as good as the ones you see on places like etsy than you can really design a lot of your decor.  I'm nowhere close to being a designer but for DD's 1st birthday I made those circular birthday banners that are all the rage right now.  I printed it out on cardstock (bought at 40% off at Michael's!), and tied them together with ribbon (also bought at 40% off at Michael's.)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"