Homeschooling
Options

Anyone not use a purchased curriculum?

I was the high school teacher who didn't like following a curriculum, so I made my own. How manageable is this for elementary grade level lessons?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone not use a purchased curriculum?

• Options

It is totally possible.  That's what I did for the first six months of Kindy with DS1 and was able to teach him to read and do simple addition without a problem.  But then I started getting busy with the holidays and I was extremely pregnant, and it became harder to get motivated to do my own lesson plans.  I eventually decided to purchase a curriculum for Math and once we started using it I realized how easy it was to have it all put together for you.  Now that we'll be HSing two at once, I got lazy and decided to just purchase it for everything.  Oh my goodness, it's a timesaver and with a new baby I need that!!

So I guess my answer is - it's doable if you have the time and energy to do it.  

• Options
    My mom used curriculums for a few things and made her own for a few. We were talking about it and she said she thinks kids can tell when you are passionate about what you are teaching. It sounds like you would be much more excited about teaching your own curriculum.
    Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMitoRachel:
    My mom used curriculums for a few things and made her own for a few. We were talking about it and she said she thinks kids can tell when you are passionate about what you are teaching. It sounds like you would be much more excited about teaching your own curriculum.

That was my thinking. I was amazed at how many students loved my class and did well in it based on my presentation of material.
  • Options
    We are Buying a curriculum for phonics and math for kinder next year. We are doing our own thing for science/social studies.  They have some amazing Programs out there.
  • Options
    My daughter is 4, for the past 2 years I have not followed any curriculum.  I have taught her to read, basic addition, used School Zone workbooks and have done unit studies.  However, this year I am purchasing a curriculum.  I have 9 month old twins and things are SO crazy right now that having the curriculum will help with my time and planning.  
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am so glad you asked the question and so glad to see it is possible! My daughter is only (almost) 2 right now but i've got a pinterest board for JUST homeschooling material for all ages and subjects. I figured it was going to be extra work if I did it without a book but I have fun with it and I would rather teach in our way (my way and the way my children need to be taught to understand and enjoy it). I took classes in college to be an early childhood education teacher because I thought I wanted to be a preschool or kindergarten teacher but after having our daughter and one on the way, my husband and I would much rather have our children homeschooled than in a public school.

So thanks for asking the question! :D

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"