Baby Names
Options

Alliteration?

How do you feel about alliteration?

Our last name is two syllables and starts and ends with R, so I've always written off names that start with R, but lately, I'm thinking it might not be so bad, and I really like some R names.
What are your thoughts?
Charlotte Lynne ~ Jan. 23, 2014

Re: Alliteration?

• Options
    I tend to take it name by name. Some would be OK, others not so much. Our last name starts with L and I tend to avoid names that start with L.
  • Options
    I like it, actually I prefer it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTGP March Siggy Challenge
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It definitely depends on the names. Anything that sounds rhymey or sing-songy is no good in my book. I think it can be done nicely though. Our last name begins with S and I never even looked at S names for DS.
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    I usually like it. DS1's fn and ln both start with a J.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    I don't like it.  I think it makes a person sound like either a cartoon character (Bugs Bunny, Donald Duck, Minnie Mouse) or a comic book character (Peter Parker, Lois Lane)
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My high school principal was RRR. My initials are MMM, so I'm fine with it!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I like it.

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

image image

• Options
    It depends on the name and on the letter (e.g. I think a double J name has more potential to sound silly than a double R or S name).  I didn't realize until it came up on this board and I'd been married for years that both my dad and my FIL have alliterative names.  NBD.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    H's name is incredibly alliterative. He goes by a nickname that is the first 3 letters of his first name, which are the same as the first 3 letters of his last name. Similar in sound to having the name Janet and going by 'Jan Jansen.' An introduction is often followed by the phrase " yes, that's my real name." It's a family tradition to have the first boy have a first name that starts with the same letter as the last name, but we're hoping to avoid alliteration this time.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I prefer Alliteration. My ln starts with M and many names on my list begin with M.
  • Options
    I think it can work.  My LO is Audrey Anne LN but something like Simon Simonson or Andy Anderson would be ridiculous. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I tend to be drawn towards alliteration. I like it.
  • Options
    imagedivinemsbee:
    H's name is incredibly alliterative. He goes by a nickname that is the first 3 letters of his first name, which are the same as the first 3 letters of his last name. Similar in sound to having the name Janet and going by 'Jan Jansen.' An introduction is often followed by the phrase " yes, that's my real name." It's a family tradition to have the first boy have a first name that starts with the same letter as the last name, but we're hoping to avoid alliteration this time.

This is the tradition in my H's family too. Our last name starts with J and my husband is Mason, his grandparents were upset when he was named and called him Jason for months. My FIL's name is the equivalent of John Johnson as well.

I now have an alliterative name, both start with J. I don't mind it, though I think it would be iffy if the first vowel sound was also the same. To sum up, I don't think you should discount names you like because of alliteration.
  • Options

I love it and always wished I had an alliterative name... Which is why I gave DS one :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    MrsJYMrsJY member
    My initials were LL before I was married. I liked it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    It really depends on the name, but as long as they are not to matching or sing-songy I like it.  My DD is Audrey and our last name starts with an A, but the A sound in her first name is different than the A sound in our last name.  My SIL, who has the same last name as us, is Abigail, which does have the same sound as the A in our last name but it still sounds fine because nothing else in the name is similar (different ending, different number of syllables, etc).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemj.reilly:
    I think it really depends on the name and I can't really give an opinion without know both names. There are plenty of cases where it works very well.

I agree!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Options
    salt78salt78 member
    Depends on the name. DD's name is alliterative so obviously I don't mind it, but there are some cases when I think it's a little too much.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Kfran84Kfran84 member
    I like them. It's an attractive literary device, why wouldn't it be for names?

Reece Ryans
    Reid Robertson
    Rex Rawlins
    Renee Rice

All my fictional names above sound pretty good to me. I wouldn't do an alliteration AND rhyme though, if that's possible.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Not a fan. Our last name begins with a hard C, so we'll be avoiding C's and K's.

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • Options
    I had an alliterative name before getting married and I liked it.  People remembered my name really well and told me they "liked to say it."  
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"