TTC after 35

Can we talk about Crinone? (it's gonna be gross)

So, I'm in last few days of my 2WW and this time round they decided to put me on Crinone 8%. I've had 3 MCs and the last IUI didn't take - with my AF arriving 6 days early so ... Crinone.

I love the theory of the medication - but I've started to notice a few things.

First off, it's a vaginal suppository of progesterone. You can never get all of the gel to come out when you insert the applicator which they say is fine if some stays in the tube. I think if it's a presciption and it's being given to me it should propbaly be the exact same amount each time. But this may be the least of my concerns.

[TURN AWAY NOW IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH] 

If you take Crinone, you're gonna leak. You are supposed to take it in the AM so as you move and walk through out the day it lines the walls of your vagina and absorbs into your system. So, the rest of my day is spent feeling as if I've tinkled in my pants and no matter how many times you go to the bathroom you will always feel wet. Okay - bring in the panty liners then, right? Well that leads us to the next thing:

That oh so not fresh odor. I try not to stand to close to people, as I am totally embarrassed. Showers do nothing either.

This leads me to the worst part - the part I just found out - the part that makes me want to freak out. A little while ago I googled 'crinone odor' to see if I could find any advice on making that go away or even to see if it is normal. Unfortunately, what I found was comment after comment, blog after blog about the 'globules'.

THE WHAT???!!! 

Yep. Apparently, the gel that holds the progesterone doesn't fully absorb and starts to 'build-up down there'. So ... off I go to the bathroom to investigate.

[I TOLD YOU THIS WAS GONING TO GET GROSS - LAST CHANCE TO RUN AWAY]

And to my horror, why yes, there is some 'build-up' - so much so that when I inserted my finger I could feel it blocking the opening of my vagina. I started scooping it out and it looks like I've taken a box of wet kleenex and hidden them up my yoo-hoo. WHAT THE HELL? 

I was so concerned about having another MC or having another IUI not take - I didn't research Crinone at all. I just took what was gven to me and in the end that's my fault.

So, ladies - the lesson here - do your research before you take the drugs. I'm sure you all already do, but just in case someone here doesn't know about Crinone I wanted to lay the facts out there for you. 

In the end, I'm still going to continue taking this prescription because I know I'm prone to MC - but I am going to be way more diligent with asking my RE questions the next time I'm given another prescription. 

caroline 

Re: Can we talk about Crinone? (it's gonna be gross)

• Yup that is gross :) Thanks for sharing, is it recommended to remove the "globules" it sounds really odd that it wouldn't come out just continue to build up.....hope it does the trick for you though!

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• I was told by my nurse that sometimes they have to ?clean out? those who are on Crinone.  Thankfully, I have never been prescribed Crinone so I haven?t experienced the ?build up? first hand.  Ask your doctor for Prometrium or Endometrin next time.  I have used both and have never had build up with either.

***SIGNATURE WARNING***

TTC #1

Me 42, DH 47

Dx = AMA/DOR, MFI

IVF/ICSI #1 = BFN

IVF/ICSI #2 = BFP; early loss

IVF/ICSI #3 (DE) = BFP; early loss

FET = BFN

IVF/ICSI #4 (DE w/ CCS) = BFP

Beta #1 @ 10dp6dt = 265; Beta #2 @ 14dp6dt = 1251. 

1st U/S @ 6w2d showed one perfect little heartbeat! 

2nd U/S @ 7w2d. HB 132 & everything measuring on track.

Our beautiful little girl arrived January 2015!

• Loading the player...
  • QOTRQOTR member
    that sounds most unpleasant to go through.  I appreciate you sharing the experience though - it is always  helpful to have awareness of these things in the event it's my turn next!
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • jbellejbelle member

imageQOTR:
    that sounds most unpleasant to go through.  I appreciate you sharing the experience though - it is always  helpful to have awareness of these things in the event it's my turn next!

Ditto! Sorry you're experiencing these... side effects (that can't be the right term).  

AMA & SAIF. TTC #1 since Oct. 2010. DX: Unexplained. BFP on break after 32 months trying and 2 med cycles. Baby girl born at 40w0d!

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

jbelle

• imageQOTR:

Double ditto....hope that the side effects are worth it, for a take home baby!   

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 15 to 80 day cycle tickers
  • I have been prescribed Crinone this cycle.  Thanks for the heads up.  At least I won't be taken unawares.
    Me - 38 (Endo, DOR) DH- 41 Married in 2003, TTC for 6+ years Dec 2012 - Lap, both tubes removed Jan 2013 - IVF #1 - MDLF, Cancelled March 2013 - IVF #2 - Antagonist - cancelled after ER May 2013 - IVF #3 - TPP Antagonist W/HGH
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"