September 2013 Moms
Options

Washer & Dryer

We've decided it's time to be grown ups and buy our own NICE appliances.

Anyone love their washer and dryer? Brand? What to avoid? I know it will get a lot of use when the baby is here, so we want something nice!

I know nothing on the subject.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Washer & Dryer

• Options
    jgengo0jgengo0 member
    We have a front loader Samsung  washer and Dryer with the steam option. I LOVE them. I really didn't care about the steam until I used it. WOW  it  gets out the stains! It is awesome with having a little one and all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lost Lilah (Audra's twin) at 26 weeks. Cause unknown. Forever in our hearts
  • Options
    jjkayejjkaye member

We have gas hookups in the house- I should have said that!

jgengo0- thank you! I'll check that out!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know the brand off hand, GE or Samsung, or whirlpool or something, but we paid extra for the steam options as well. So worth it!! Get the brand on sale with the steam options, just read your online reviews before you make the purchase!
    Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• Options

imageNicknShan:
    I don't know the brand off hand, GE or Samsung, or whirlpool or something, but we paid extra for the steam options as well. So worth it!! Get the brand on sale with the steam options, just read your online reviews before you make the purchase!

Yep that is what we bought about a 1 1/2 year ago. Love it. The HE front loaders. 

• Options
    AmusjhAmusjh member

imagejdoud77:
    Avoid electric dryers if you can. I've had nothing but electric dryers and they don't dry as good.

I would have to agree with the electric dryer.  At my old house, we had a gas dryer that was about 20 years old and worked great.  When we bought our new house, new appliances came with it.  The dryer is electric and I have to normally run 2 cycles to get the clothes dry.  But, if you only have a hook up for electric, it could get expensive running a gas line.

photo b968ca6b-5a0b-49a1-93ac-7776aa6ee34b.jpg
    *Parker Ryan*
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DFico21DFico21 member

imagejgengo0:
    We have a front loader Samsung  washer and Dryer with the steam option. I LOVE them. I really didn't care about the steam until I used it. WOW  it  gets out the stains! It is awesome with having a little one and all.

We just got these last month and I love them.  My clothes have never been cleaner!

• Options

We recently bought a new washer- LG top loader and I'm loving it.  We had a Kenmore front loader, but the kids' little socks (and some of my panties) kept getting through the gasket and jamming the drain.  I tried putting socks and undies in a lingerie bag but still rogue socks and change would clog it.  It got to the point where we had to pull the front panel apart every 3 months and i got tired of it.  Also, I hated cleaning the gasket to fight the mildew. 

Our top loader has a huge capacity (fits king comforters), is still high efficiency, but has been so much easier to use.  Only down side is that I'm going to need a step-stool as my belly gets bigger to reach in there!

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    BookaLBookaL member
    If you get a front loading washer you have to be prepared to really keep it clean (the front gaskets and such) or you will get a horrible mildew and smell growing.  Yuck!
  • Options
    Our house is newly constructed and actually has connections for both. I have an electric dryer and haven't had any kind of issue with drying time. Although I have heard that gas saves big compared to electric bills. Ours are both pretty old but with the baby coming and the new house I am going to milk the old ones for all I can.
    BabyFruit Ticker 12 YEARS LATER! Baby #2 EDD 09/10/2013
  • Options

We are in love with ours.  I DEFINITELY recommend high efficiency front loaders.  They save on the bills and I find that they wash better and fit larger loads.  Ours are by Fridgidaire.

Unfortunately we moved into a new apartment in March that required us to rent their cheapo ones for $40 a month so ours are stored on my parents back porch until we get a house next year Sad

This is how I am able to tell you the difference between high efficiency front loaders and a regular top loader washer and dryer!  Our bills have gone up a little, clothes take FOREVER to dry, don't come out as clean and we can't fit as much as we could with ours.

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my whirpool duet!!! I love it I love it I love it!!!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    jjkayejjkaye member
    imagesabrinakurtz:
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my whirpool duet!!! I love it I love it I love it!!!!!
  • Options
    jjkayejjkaye member

imagesabrinakurtz:

I love that you're so excited about this (seriously)!

I'm really excited to go shopping this weekend and pick something out and do that fist load.

Ok, clearly I need to get a life.

• Options
    imagejjkaye:

imagesabrinakurtz:

I love that you're so excited about this (seriously)!

I'm really excited to go shopping this weekend and pick something out and do that fist load.

Ok, clearly I need to get a life.

Yes i feel old and lame loving a washer and dryer so much...but it seriously changed my life!! Ours has the steam option too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options

We also have the Samsung front loaders with steam wash and dry. I love how large the drum is and how much stuff I can fit in them, they also are very gentle on my clothing. We have ours on the pedestals so I love that I don't have to do any squatting or bending over to put clothes in. 

With that being said, I will probably never buy another front loader again. They are too much work to maintain. I hate the way it looks to always have to leave the washer door and detergent drawer open to prevent mold. I've also noticed that some items, while they look clean they still have a bit of an odor, especially socks. I've tried different detergents and amounts, and it's still there. We are also going to cloth diaper and I'm really concerned about how clean they are going to get since on Samsung's you can't add additional water to the load. 

Our next set will be an HE top loader, probably still Samsung because we like the brand.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    mmdd20mmdd20 member

imagejgengo0:

This exactly. We love our Samsungs.

• Options
    daileymdaileym member

imagejgengo0:

This! I Love my Samsung set. They were worth every penny. We actually had a functioning whirlpool set when we moved into our house, but I missed my Samsung set so much that we sold them and bought the same set we had in our old house the week after we moved in. 

Dailey 10/29/2009 BFP! 7/12/2010 Welcomed our beautiful baby boy TTC#2 Since 10/2011 5/21/2012 BFP! 6/30/2012 Missed Miscarriage 1/4/2012 BFP!! Stick, baby, stick! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    jjkayejjkaye member
    imageShanmarie1083:

We also have the Samsung front loaders with steam wash and dry. I love how large the drum is and how much stuff I can fit in them, they also are very gentle on my clothing. We have ours on the pedestals so I love that I don't have to do any squatting or bending over to put clothes in. 

With that being said, I will probably never buy another front loader again. They are too much work to maintain. I hate the way it looks to always have to leave the washer door and detergent drawer open to prevent mold. I've also noticed that some items, while they look clean they still have a bit of an odor, especially socks. I've tried different detergents and amounts, and it's still there. We are also going to cloth diaper and I'm really concerned about how clean they are going to get since on Samsung's you can't add additional water to the load. 

Our next set will be an HE top loader, probably still Samsung because we like the brand.  

You know... I've heard this from a few other people. Not sure if I want to deal with having to keep it maintained. Thanks!

• Options
    imagetwolittlewheels:

I always worried that leaving the front loading door open to air out would invite little kids to climb in and get stuck.  I'm kind of irrational sometimes though.  I've never owned one for a few reasons so I can't speak from experience.

I think that was a big issue with why our front loader was so hard to maintain.  Our laundry is in a closet in the back of our family room, and I hated the idea of leaving the door open and tempting little ones to crawl in.  So I kept the door closed and it got stinky quickly.  

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have always had top loaders and moved into an apartment last year that was already equipped with HE front loaders (forget the brand, but they were brand new when we moved).  I absolutely HATE the washer and will never buy a front loader.  Besides the leaving-the-door-open part, and the getting-socks-and-undies-stuck-in-weird-places part (I have to check around the door gasket every time I empty it because things get wedged there and you can't see them but have to stick your finger around to feel them).  

It just doesn't get the clothes as clean.  I frequently have to run loads twice, which negates the energy savings completely.  My husband made the mistake of using powdered detergent once, and it took 4 loads to get the danged granules dissolved enough to get out of the clothes--I guess that happens when you're washing an entire load of laundry in a dribble of water.  It's unbelievably frustrating.  I frequently spill coffee on my clothes (even more so with the pregnancy clumsiness) and have never worried about it coming out in the wash.  Now I have to run those things through 2-3 times just to get normal stains out.

Also, my thick blankets and quilt wouldnt' fit in this washer, and they have in every other top loader I've ever had.  

And when you pull things out of the washer, usually the entire clump of laundry falls out on the floor.  Annoying if you're sorting things as you pull them out (some to hang dry, etc.).  Not really an issue, just annoying.  And makes you keep the basket underneath (or the floor clean!!) 

I've heard good things about some of the brands, so I'm not sure if we just got stuck with a bad set (I looked them up once and they were crazy expensive ones, too), or what--I'm sure there's good front loaders out there.  Just not ours. Wish I could remember the brand so you could stay away......I'll look later when I"m home.

• Options
    NNGnomeNNGnome member

I have the Samsung He front loaders and I love them, I never leave the door open and socks never get stuck, I am not sure what you guys are doing LOL, but I have never had issues.

My advice would be get front loaders ( top loaders always ruin my clothes, they are much more violent, and I have had more than one rip I was really annoyed). The bigger capacity you can get the better (especially for the drier), and the steam function is great as pp's said)

To stop mildue or mold in front loaders all you need to do it use the front loader cleaning packs about once a month NBD, and I have never ever left the doors open.

Also if you are struggling to get your clothes (including diapers, I cloth diaper with no issues) clean in your front loader, you are probably using too much detergent, I know it sounds counter intuitive, but the more you use the harder the machine has to work to get out the soap, and it is often left in the material because it didn't rinse out thoroughly, leaving behind dirty soap, and therefore the garment is not clean.

Also in a front loader you can only fill 3/4 full at most, to get a good wash/dry.. I wash on eco cold/warm, and dry on cool, and never have issues with unclean or stuff not drying, unless I dry very different materials together, ie. A comforter with a sheet, the sheet would get dry and the sensor will shut off the machine before the comforter is dry etc. I also use wool dryer balls, best invention ever, I hardly ever have to iron anything.

Wow that got long, I guess I just love my front loaders LOL...now I feel old..

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Diagnosed with Anti little c antibodies. DS1 7.11.11 - Anaemia and Jaundice. 10 days in the NICU, 1 exchange transfusion and 4 blood transfusions. DS2 29.8.13 - Anaemia 7 days in the NICU and 1 exchange transfusion. Both are now happy and healthy. 

• Options
    imageShanmarie1083:

Try to do the load with the sanitize option. Some times our socks and towels get that funky smell and that wash option does the trick!

• Options
    I love our Whirlpool Duet front-loading washer & dryer, and I love that they are energy efficient/EnergyStar certified. 
    BabyFruit Ticker S & J married 05.09.10 -- BFP #1 07.12.12, EDD 03.24.13, MMC 7w4d BFP #2 12.12.12, EDD 08.26.13, MC 12.22.12 MTHFR diagnosis 01.11.13 BFP #3 01.20.13, EDD 09.30.13
  • Options

imagejgengo0:

Totally this!!!  Best money we ever spent! 

ETA...keeping clean hasn't been an issue.  I run our white load with bleach and an extra rinse as the last load, then leave the door open for an hour or two to let it dry out.  Zero instances of pets or kids attempting to get in washer.  I use the cleaning packs once a month, and we've had no problems in the 2 years we've had these machines.

And seriously, it gets poopie blowout onesies clean like nobody's business.  Night and day difference! 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have a Kenmore elite HE set (front loaders) and I love them.  We only have an electric hook up for our dryer.  We have gas in the house but not at the dryer hook up, so I have no input on the gas vs electric.  My dryer has a stream option that I LOVE!  it will DE-wrinkle my work clothes in 10 min. The washer has a sanitize feature that makes sheets and towels feel incredibly clean.  Some people have problems with HE washers and cloth diapers, but I haven't had any problems.  We had them for close to three years with no mechanical problems. 

My appliance buying tip is to look into outlet stores.  We have gotten a fridge, washer and dryer from sears outlet and have saved a lot of money that way.  They were on clearance because they had small scratches on them.  We covered them with appliance paint to prevent rust and they work great. 

• Options
    I've never had mold issues.  We use vinegar in the fabric softener slot and never have problems.  I think most of the mold problems come from using liquid fabric softener which you shouldn't use if you have young children anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"