Parenting after 35

Milk transition

I've been trying to introduce milk at meal time but DD won't drink it. She's never taken formula from a cup either, but she'll drink water no problem.

I've mixed some in her bottles and she seems ok with that, but if she ends up drinking milk from bottles, that doesn't really help with getting her to drink it from a cup. I've tried using different types of cups to see if I could get her interested that way, but no luck.

Should I just let her drink milk from bottles for awhile and deal with getting rid of the bottle later? Go cold turkey on bottles and hope she eventually accepts it? Any advice?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Milk transition

• With my three oldest I went cold turkey on bottles.  I mixed some milk into the formula for about a week and then one day all they got was a sippy cup with milk and they never saw a bottle again.  My sons transitioned super easily without missing a beat.  My oldest daughter took a few days to get used to the idea of the cup.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• With all three of mine, we transitioned to milk first in a bottle at 12 months.  Once they master the straw cup with water consistently, we have a "Bye Bye Bottle Party"  (usually no later than 18 months).  We make a big deal about it and explain they are a big boy/girl now and don't need the ba-ba anymore.  We sing a "Bye Bye Bottle Bye Bye" song, dance, praise like crazy, and let them throw the bottles in the trash themselves, rather them "disappearing".  The next morning they are all confused, and start to cry for the ba-ba...lol.  We explain the whole thing again.  Usually they refuse the cup with milk and cry about it for no more than a day.  The key is to remain strong and don't go back.  They''ll drink the milk from the cup eventually. 
  • Loading the player...
  • jlw2505jlw2505 member
    With both of my girls, I went cold turkey on the bottle.  Keep trying sippy cups or if she has one that she loves for water, just keeping trying the milk in that.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • With DS we were giving him milk in a bottle and then transitioned to sippy cups over time. We just got rid of the last bottle (evening bottle) when DS was about 15.5 months old. Hope you can find something that works for you both.
    image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm a pretty loosey-goosey mommy with stuff like this and would rather not fight/stress LO with major changes if they don't really matter in the end (this is truly just my way of parenting and picking battles, not a judgement).

I left a plethora of sippy cups out all over the house until he figured out how to use them.  I put a juice/water mixture in them to make them more enticing...it took about 2-3 months to completely transition him (11-13 months).  To entice her to milk in a sippy, just keep offering it on occasion - she'll take it when she's ready.

I still give one bottle at night because it's slower, it relaxes him and I still like snuggling him before bed.  He will gladly take it from the sippy, though.

Also, it may just depend on your LO...She may just need the cold turkey treatment if she isn't transitioning.

I'm not sure I helped at all :) 

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"