Special Needs

weaning seizure meds

Has anyone weaned their DC totally off seizure meds?  DS has been 2 years seizure free.  He has good control on Keppra.  I'd love to see how he does off meds.  I've been researching the pros and cons for our neuro appointment on Wednesday.  Just wondering what other's experience has been...

Re: weaning seizure meds

• I was epileptic as a child. I had 2 grand mal seizures when I was 8. It was controlled with meds until I had a normal EEG at 18 yrs old. It was the spring of my senior year of HS. Thankfully, I'm 35 now and not had any issues. The cause of my epilepsy was unknown.
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Our doctor will recommend weaning at 2 years seizure free with meds.  So that's what we're hoping for some day.  I think it's worth talking to the doctor about.  

• Loading the player...
  • PaigeoPaigeo member
    My DD is on Keppra.  We weaned her off about a year or two ago after almost 2 years of being seizure free.  Unfortunately her seizures started again.  They started about 2-3 months after she was fully off the meds.  We have since got her back on the right dosage of Keppra.  Babies/kids can outgrow seizures.  My DD has always had normal EEGs so weaning was the only way to know.  Not sure if and when we will ever try to wean again.  Other then the seizures I didn't notice any other change in my DD (mood, temperament, gross motor skills, etc) being on the meds vs off.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"