C-sections

3rd c-section with a possible tubal ligation

I am having my 3rd c-section in 3 weeks.  I am contemplating having a tubal then.  I have a family history of ovarian cancer and my MD says that tubal ligation reduces this risk.  I honestly want a total hysterectomy, but they won't do it.  Not only do I not want to have to worry about uterine or ovarian cancer, but I don't want a period anymore. The MD did mention that sometimes the tubal makes periods longer and heavier, exactly what I am trying to avoid.  I am just curious if anyone has had a tubal and if they are pleased with the decision. 

Re: 3rd c-section with a possible tubal ligation

• aandgaandg member

I had a tubal after my daughter was born (1st c section) and my periods were much heavier at first. They've slowed down over the past year and a half, but are still a bit heavier than pre-baby. I don't know if this is the result of the tubal or from having two babies.

I'm very glad that I did it. The idea of taking hormonal birth control for the rest of my life was not appealing.

BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm planning on a tubal at my 3rd section too, curious to hear more about this.

**Baby #3 is on the way!**
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was hoping for more responses to this post.  I do not want to have to be on hormonal birth control or have an IUD, but the things I have been reading about post tubal ligation syndrome are really scaring me.  I have a few more weeks to decide, but I am really anxious and pretty unsure of what to do...
  • I had a tubal during my 4th c-section. Actual c-section AND recovery were my shortest and easiest out of the 4.

I can't answer the period questions as I am 7 months PP, EBF and haven't gotten a period yet. My friends do tell me it's heavier, but not crazy heavy.

I do NOT regret my decision.

GL! 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • I had a tubal with my third section in December.  I am so glad I did it.  I too read about post tubal ligation syndrome, but I asked my OB what she thought about it and she basically said it was ridiculous.  I went ahead with it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  My periods are a little heavier in the middle and seem to linger a bit longer in total duration, but the last few days are pretty light.  But I am also only 4 1/2 months postpartum, so maybe they will lighten up a bit the further out I get.

After reading about what could happen with IUD's and coils (and knowing someone who got pregnant with an IUD in and another one who's IUD went "missing" and had to go through a mess to get it removed), and turning into a complete *** on NuvaRing and the pill, I am a million times happy that I had a tubal!

• why won't they do a full hysterectomy?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"