October 2012 Moms
Options

Last Will and Testament

Have you written your will yet? We don't have one yet, but we've been talking about it. Who did you appoint as your LO's legal guardian and how did you decide?

Also, how did you go about writing your will? Attorney? Web template? Just wrote your own and had a witness for your signatures?

Re: Last Will and Testament

• Options
    I just wrote out a letter and signed it. I have it in our safe deposit box. In the event that MH and I both perish, my mom would get LO. If she is not around then My IL's would get him. For me, it was no decision. My mom is just so much closer to him than my IL's are.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagecandaceleigh21:
    I just wrote out a letter and signed it. I have it in our safe deposit box. In the event that MH and I both perish, my mom would get LO. If she is not around then My IL's would get him. For me, it was no decision. My mom is just so much closer to him than my IL's are.

Make sure your mother has access to your safe deposit box!  In the event something would happen, she needs to be granted access as a signer on the box to access it.  (not that it's any of my business...I just work at a bank and deal with this sort of thing all the time.  It would just prevent extra work for your mom)  Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP#1 10/21/11 EDD 06/22/12 natural m/c 11/03/11 6w6d

BFP#2 03/08/12 EDD 11/19/12 met our sweet boy @ 36w5d! 10/25/12!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagekatekate628:

imagecandaceleigh21:

Make sure your mother has access to your safe deposit box!  In the event something would happen, she needs to be granted access as a signer on the box to access it.  (not that it's any of my business...I just work at a bank and deal with this sort of thing all the time.  It would just prevent extra work for your mom)  Smile

I'm glad you said this!

• Options
    hs10hs10 member
    I drafted ours because Im an attorney. We decided on my parents first then my brother second. My parents are the most responsible. My MIL smokes, my SIL has too many kids and my brother is just a bit too young right now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    hs10hs10 member
    imagecandaceleigh21:

I'm not sure what state you are in, but a letter would not be legally binding in NY. If you feel strongly about your choice you may want to confirm what, if any, effect your letter would have on placement after your death.
  • Options
    We've really struggled with this, but have finally made a plan. LO will go to my parents, to be revisited in 5 years. DH and I each have a brother, but neither of them are an option. His parents live closer, but are ooold and not as nice as mine. Mine are not ideal because of their age, but we couldn't think of anyone else at this stage. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is even more disturbing than the swimsuit posts from yesterday. I'm not ready to think about either one of those issues yet.
  • Options

imageCbeanz:
    This is even more disturbing than the swimsuit posts from yesterday. I'm not ready to think about either one of those issues yet.

Agree it's not fun to think about, but I can't imagine letting the state choose who raises my LOs should the worst happen.

• Options

We went through an attorney.  We appointed my Mom as legal guardian and Trustee.  The attorney insisted that we had two back ups and that at least one of the back ups be from our generation.  So our 2nd and 3rd picks are friends and cousins.  If my Mom were unable to be guardian, DS would go to our 2nd or 3rd pick, but then we have a separate party appointed as trustee.

We picked my Mom as guardian because she lives closest to us and watches DS while we both work.  DH's parents are too old (already in their 70s) and his sisters live on the other side of the country and don't necessarily get along.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    BFP #1 DS born 10/16/12 at 39w6d
    BFP #2 DD lost 11/17/14 at 17w2d
  • Options
    We went through an attorney.  My sister would get the boys if something happened to both of us.  If she can't take them for whatever reason DH's sister would get them.  We chose my sis because she would raise them the most like we would.  DH sister would also do a good job, she just has two kids of her own and a small house.  Plus we have a ton of life insurance/pension money that would go to the boys.  I trust my sister to manage that better. 

image imageimageimage

• Options
    We just got our draft in the mail to review! A family friend is actually a wills/estates attorney so he did ours. DH and I both have life insurance policies so LO would get all of that set up in a trust for his care until he reaches 21. My sister ( and her sigificant other ) would be the guardian. .If my sister can't fullfill guardianship, LO would go to my best friend. . DH has a sister but she is a single mom and works part time. My mom has some health problems and it would probably be too much for her.  We didnt want to choose someone just because they are family. We did whats in the best interest of LO and who could provide a home life like we do.
  • Options
    We need to update ours now that Z is here. We used an attorney and did all our wills, living wills, medical decisions, etc.

We selected the godmother as our children's guardian in case of our demise. She is the one who most closely matches our beliefs values as well as knowing that she would raise love our girls as her own.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"