Breastfeeding
Options

In need of some encouragement...

I am exclusively breastfeeding my almost month old baby and up until now things have been going great but she currently just is never happy at night and seems to want to constantly be feeding all night long. Half the time she isn't even actually eating she is just comfort sucking. I have been trying to give her a pacifier but she won't take it, she only wants me. I even started pumping one bottle a night so my hubby could feed her once so I could get a few hours of uninterrupted sleep but she doesn't like the bottle and just screams...  I guess I am just venting but if any of you guys have advice I would love to hear it. Thank you.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: In need of some encouragement...

• Options
    Chame90Chame90 member
    I haven't seen the movie but we have tried the swaddle and white noise but it doesn't seem to make a difference :( 
  • Options

imagejfresh:
    Sorry you're having a rough time. If I remember right is that about the time that the "witching hour" starts in the evenings? DS wanted to nurse constantly at that point, it wasn't so much about eating it was just comfort. We stuck it out for a couple weeks and things got better. Holding him while bouncing on the exercise ball, walks with him in the moby, H snuggling him while he was swaddled, and nursery music or white noise were all things thy helped us.
    This.  It's around the time when the witching hour started for DS, too.  It got better after a few weeks.  I know how frustrating it is.  I thought I was going to lose my mind!  There was a lot of crying from both of us lol.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejfresh:
    Sorry you're having a rough time. If I remember right is that about the time that the "witching hour" starts in the evenings? DS wanted to nurse constantly at that point, it wasn't so much about eating it was just comfort. We stuck it out for a couple weeks and things got better. Holding him while bouncing on the exercise ball, walks with him in the moby, H snuggling him while he was swaddled, and nursery music or white noise were all things thy helped us.

This 100%.  We definitely went through a rough patch around this time.  I can remember nursing and rocking DS for hours upon hours.  Keep trying things until you find something that works.  Every baby is different and requires their own way of being comforted.

ETA: If the nursing itself isn't bothering you (e.g. sore nipples), than you might want to try hunkering down and riding it out.  I found that side-lying nursing saved my sanity at around this time.  I also found that the best way to ride out the evenings was to turn on the tv, watch some reruns and let DS nurse to his hearts content.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Chame90Chame90 member
    Thank you everyone! It's good to know that there should be an end to this. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on breastfeeding but I also sure can't wait to sleep! :) thank you for your advice and words of encouragement it was much needed! 
  • Options
    i agree with learning how to nurse laying down.  it was a life saver for me when my DS was an infant and wanted to comfort suck all the time.  good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"