Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

If you're having poop probs, I feel bad for you son...

This is my first post on this board but I'm hoping you all can help me out. DS is 18 months old and has been having some BM issues over the past week or so. He started having 5-6 "peanut-buttery" diapers (formed, but soft and white/light yellow in color) and then this weekend started having more diarrhea-like issues. Same yellow color, loose but not too loose, and just a tiny bit mucus-y. His daycare provider told us that he was borderline diarrhea all day yesterday but it was just solid enough that they didn't call us. DS has been in great spirits and is acting completely normal - eating and drinking really well, too. Then, this morning, he had the same thing but this time it was like straight-up dead fish. Like, a mobster vendetta retaliation in his pants Ick!

I called the ped and she said to keep an eye on it and call if it seems extra abnormal but...it's already abnormal, you know?

He hasn't shown any signs of lactose intolerance yet, but Dr. Google has me thinking that could be the culprit. He usually has about 12-16 oz of whole cows milk each day with no issues. However, to add more anecdotal evidence to this novella post, he had yogurt for breakfast on Sunday and threw up all over the place and then immediately then went right back to playing. So it wasn't your usual cramping/gas/omg I feel awful/angry toddler cycle of symptoms. Have any of your kids experience this? What was the cause and how did you resolve it?

TL;DR version: My kid has weird poops. Am I overlooking an obvious cause?  Did I really just write that much about poop? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you're having poop probs, I feel bad for you son...

• RubySue!  Where have you been?  You need to come back to the October board!  Sorry, I don't have any idea about the poopies!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Funny you posted this.  DS has these frequent horrid poops.  Yellow in color, sometimes undigested food, totally rancid (like his whole room smells & outside his door & we have to open windows & spray), and on the looser side (but still maybe muddy/pastey)?   I never thought twice about it because he's never really been a solid pooper guy & poops all.the.time.  My mom brought it to my attention last week that it might not be normal, but what's normal?  He's not effected, acts & goes about his business like normal. 

I figured I'd bring it up at his 15 mo. apt in a month because he seems to not care...

• Loading the player...
  • Could it just be a virus?   DD has done that before where she barfs once and has about a week of weird poo.  Has he had issues before this around the time of eating dairy?

• You are describing my 12 month old's poop and behavior from 2 weeks ago to a T. Then a couple days later he came down with his first fever. The doc isn't certain if the fever/virus and poo were related. My DS too had more dairy than usual prior to the weird poops. He has a background of some slight intolerances from 2 months on, but they seemed mostly to have resolved until this weird poo sitch. 

I essentially put him on a mild BRAT diet for a few days until he was better (honestly he mostly just nursed) and all is well again. I have a few friends that had similar experiences recently. From what I understand it's uncommon for diarrhea to precede fever if it is a virus, but perhaps not unheard of?

TLDR: maybe he has a little stomach bug! 

• imagebrazzale:

Funny you posted this.  DS has these frequent horrid poops.  Yellow in color, sometimes undigested food, totally rancid (like his whole room smells & outside his door & we have to open windows & spray), and on the looser side (but still maybe muddy/pastey)?   I never thought twice about it because he's never really been a solid pooper guy & poops all.the.time.  My mom brought it to my attention last week that it might not be normal, but what's normal?  He's not effected, acts & goes about his business like normal. 

I figured I'd bring it up at his 15 mo. apt in a month because he seems to not care...

This is my son EXACTLY. He's maybe had four solid poops his whole life. I never thought twice about it Huh?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My son had weird whitish pasty poops for about a week after he had a mild fever and vomited up his milk one morning. He has never had a problem with milk before. I think he had a virus of some sort but didn't seemed fazed at all other than not having a normal appetite. I gave him a lot of yogurt to rebalance the normal bacteria of his stomach and he was better within a week.
  • Thanks everyone for your responses! I'm sorry for the rest of you who are having this issue but I'm glad to know it's not totally crazy unheard of. I'm thinking that it's a mild virus that just hasn't phased him outside of the poop issues. Since yesterday, he seems to be doing a lot better. He hasn't had milk issues before, but I'm going to keep an eye on it just in case.

Amyc - Hi!!! How have you been?? I miss you guys. I lame'd out last year and didn't want to do a weird Kool Aid man crash on the October party after so much time, but I'm going to scoot my way over there anyway Big Smile Can't wait to catch up on what y'all have been up to!

• I never post here, but just wanted to add that this may be teething related. Every time my 20 month old has had teeth coming in (after the front ones) he had this kind of poop - beigey color and really foul smelling. He also had reduced appetite, and no other symptoms, so I am pretty certain it was not a virus. I think it is just from digesting the extra saliva associated with teething, which was upsetting his tummy. When I googled a bit I saw similar comments from other moms. The BRAT diet will help a bit, but for us it lasted about a week and then totally back to normal re: poop and appetite

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"