Baby Names

For fun - Wren

I just found out we are expecting #3 yesterday :).  I am excited and of course baby names are on my brain.

My DD is Katherine Grace (nn Kate) and my DS is Connor Patrick for reference.

I really (really!!) want to use Wren as either a first or middle name if this baby is a girl.  It is a family name and it would mean a great deal to my side of the family.  Thus far, we have not really used family names (Patrick is DH's middle name, but that is the extent of it). 

So, I know Wren is a somewhat polarizing name.  I don't really care if you love it or hate it.  What I am wondering is:

1.  First or middle?

2.  Names that sound good with Wren (as either first or middle).

I do care about "flow" because we do use first-middle combo quite a bit in our house. 

Names I am already considering:

Elizabeth Wren / Wren Elizabeth

Alexandra Wren

Wren Caroline

I guess the only other thing is that we would probably like to avoid "C" or "K" names as first name.  We already have Kate and Connor.  We don't need people to think are doing a package deal/trendy C/K thing.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

Re: For fun - Wren

• I have Wren on my girl name list, and I actually have it as Wren Elizabeth, because that's my mn that I share w/family also. I think it's adorable.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I absolutely adore Wren

1. I'd put it wherever it seemed to flow better, depending on what other name you find that you love

2. I like Elizabeth in either spot, and Wren Caroline sounds nice. Maybe Abigail or Amanda with it? What combinations have been used in your family? Maybe that can provide inspiration.

• Loading the player...
  • Congrats!

I am team MN.

I love Elizabeth Wren-- so pretty!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• aeh72aeh72 member

Wren is a total guilty pleasure name for me - falls into all the "earthy" type names I like, such as Skye, Willow, Savannah, Luna, etc. - which I probably would never use because they don't really seem like us, but I still heart them.  I think it's awesome that it's a family name and you should definitely use it in some capacity.  In your situation, because your two other kids have more tradtional names, I would probably like it better as a MN. I think Elizabeth/Caroline/Alexandra Wren all sound great.  I also like Abigail Wren.  With all this being said, I think it would be lovely too in the first name spot.  If you went that route, I like Wren Elizabeth the best of what you've suggested.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like Wren, but not sure I would use it as a first name with Katherine and Connor.  I really love Elizabeth Wren.  Sounds very feminine and pretty.

Audrey Wren

Olivia Wren

Lydia Wren

Natalie Wren

Julia Wren

Charlotte Wren (C name but doesn't have the same sounds as other two)

BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageDr.Loretta:

I absolutely adore Wren

1. I'd put it wherever it seemed to flow better, depending on what other name you find that you love

2. I like Elizabeth in either spot, and Wren Caroline sounds nice. Maybe Abigail or Amanda with it? What combinations have been used in your family? Maybe that can provide inspiration.

Well, that's the funny part.  It isn't really a family name in the way people traditionally think of family names.

My grandparents (who I am extremely close to) have been married for 67 years and met during WWII.  My grandmother was in the British Navy, otherwise known as the WRENs (Women's Royal English Navy).  My grandfather was a pilot in the American Army Air Corps.  They met while both out and about in a small British town on leave and got engaged the night they met.

Wren has been used in my family as somewhat of a good luck/good will charm.  We have had a few sailboats called WREN and the home I grew up in was Wren's Nest.  No babies have been given this name (yet).  It would be very meaningful to my family to have a little baby named Wren one day Smile.

FWIW, Wren would be a GP for me too if it weren't so near and dear to my heart.  DH and I very much like traditional names.  That is why I am asking for MN spot options because when I "sell" it to him later in the pregnancy, I know I am going to need a fallback in the event he just cannot go for Wren as a first name.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Congratulations! Wren Elizabeth all the way! 
  • I like Wren personally, for either a fn or mn. 

It was on our list when we first found out this LO was another girl.  We had no girl names and one of our top boy names was Warren (nn 'Ren).

I prefer Wren Elizabeth/Elizabeth Wren or Wren Caroline to Alexandra Wren FWIW.

BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
    TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
    BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
    PgAL/PAL Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love LOVE Wren for a first name but I equally love the name Elizabeth Wren and I think it goes better with your other kids who have more traditional names.

also like Abigail Wren 

• imagesweetpea2003:
    imageDr.Loretta:

I absolutely adore Wren

Well, that's the funny part.  It isn't really a family name in the way people traditionally think of family names.

My grandparents (who I am extremely close to) have been married for 67 years and met during WWII.  My grandmother was in the British Navy, otherwise known as the WRENs (Women's Royal English Navy).  My grandfather was a pilot in the American Army Air Corps.  They met while both out and about in a small British town on leave and got engaged the night they met.

Wren has been used in my family as somewhat of a good luck/good will charm.  We have had a few sailboats called WREN and the home I grew up in was Wren's Nest.  No babies have been given this name (yet).  It would be very meaningful to my family to have a little baby named Wren one day Smile.

What a lovely history!

• Congrats!

I think it sounds better in the MN spot.. I think Alexandra Wren sounds okay.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • hmp1hmp1 member

Love Wren.

I like it paired with Elizabeth and Caroline.

Adding Lucille Wren because I adore the sibset Kate and Lucy. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• First, it is blowing my mind that there are 2014 babies due now, crazy!! Congratulations!!

Second, I adore Wren, and the WREN reference makes it even more adorable.

Third, I think Wren as a mn tends to make it sound like a suffix for whatever the first name is. Like Anna Wren sounds like it might be one name that is spelled like "Annaren."  I'm probably not explaining this very well, but my point is that I far perfer it in the fn spot.

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Before I read your whole post my first thought was Elizabeth Wren. I think Elizabeth, Alexandra and Caroline all sound great with Wren and with your other kids names. I would imagine you would use a NN (Liz, Beth, Alex, Aly, Cari, etc.) like you did with Kate. I like Wren as the MN rather than the first name. I would use Elizabeth, Alexandra and Caroline in that order.

• Congrats!

Wren is a GP of mine. I would recommend you use it as a MN only because your older kids have such classic names. I really like Elizabeth Wren.

BTW, what a cute story!

• I like it with Elizabeth, as either a FN or MN
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageAnnieBN:
    Congrats! Wren is a GP of mine. I would recommend you use it as a MN only because your older kids have such classic names. I really like Elizabeth Wren.BTW, what a cute story!

All of this exactly!
    Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • Maybe it's just me, but I don't get the obsession with the name Wren.  I don't think it's very feminine at all.  It just doesn't do anything for me.  With that said ... (lol, and I know you said you didn't care if we loved/hated it) ...

1. I would definitely use it as a middle name.  

2. Multiple syllable fn (specifically 2 syllable) sound best with one syllable mn, IMO.  

Emma Wren? Annabelle Wren? Emily Wren? etc.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• stahlopstahlop member
    If DS had been a girl he would have been Alice Wren.  I also like Amelia Wren (DH didn't like Amelia).
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• For your sibset, I think Wren makes the most sense as a MN. It would really stand out in an awkward way as a FN. Elizabeth sounds great with your other kids, as does Caroline (although I understand wanted to stay away from another C/K name.
  • imageDr.Loretta:
    I absolutely adore Wren1. I'd put it wherever it seemed to flow better, depending on what other name you find that you love2. I like Elizabeth in either spot, and Wren Caroline sounds nice. Maybe Abigail or Amanda with it? What combinations have been used in your family? Maybe that can provide inspiration.

All of this!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• apc1929apc1929 member
    Love love love Wren and would def us in fn spot.   Wren Caroline is fantastic!
  • I don't mind Wren, and I don't think sibsets have to "match," but it does seem pretty out there compared to your first two kids' names.  Wren isn't the most feminine sounding or looking name, like someone else mentioned, but you do have a sweet, meaningful story for why you want to use it. I like Wren Elizabeth, but as mentioned in previous comments, you might want to use it as the middle name if there's another FN you really like.

As far as "bird names," I'm in love with the name Swan for a girl which is probably more out there than Wren to most people.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"