2nd Trimester
Options

Anyone else allergic to penicillin test positive for Strep B?

So during my first visit to the doctor when I was 7 weeks they discovered I had strep B from my regular urine sample. They put me on an antibiotic that WASN'T penicillin because I've been allergic to that since I was a baby. I took the medicine religiously for the week I needed to, twice a day as directed. Then they tested me again this time and it didn't go away. My doc told me they were going to test my urine sample for sensitivities and then call me back to tell me what my next step should be. I'm starting to worry. Have any of you been through this before? I know that if I wasn't allergic to penicillin, they would be prescribing that to me--possibly from the beginning. Now that they've tried the other option and it's failed, I'm getting nervous.

Plus I haven't heard back from my doctor yet and it's been 2 days since they told me they would let me know what my next step should be. Any advice? 

BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
            photo 9C31AC9F05D04D93B9651C72F4FB18BCashx_zps51f4b406.gifimagephoto 9AE0565796E740CE962988DC1EFD9F27ashx_zps7852ee4b.gif

Re: Anyone else allergic to penicillin test positive for Strep B?

• Options
    bacterial cultures take two days from the time the lab receives them, so try to be patient. I haven't experienced this but there are dozens of antibiotics that can be used, I'm sure they'll find a match for you.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    Since its in your urine, it is causing you to have a UTI, so that is what they are concerned about, I think. I am allergic to penicillin and I took clydamyacin. It was terrible and gave me diarrhea for a month, so I would avoid that one if you can. You will also get iv antibiotics at the birth to prevent transmission to your baby. Good luck and try not to worry. My OB told me it could come back even after the antibiotics, but so far I'm ok.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes and they just use a different antibiotic.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Good to know I'm not alone. Was worrying a bit! I feel much better now. :)
    BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
                photo 9C31AC9F05D04D93B9651C72F4FB18BCashx_zps51f4b406.gifimagephoto 9AE0565796E740CE962988DC1EFD9F27ashx_zps7852ee4b.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"