Baby Showers

How is it

That the older I get the more tacky invites I get? As my friends and I get older shouldn't we/they be learning more etiquette and stopping all the tacky?

First there was the evite with everything tacky you can name off the top of your head (post here). Then there was the second time mom, but first baby with the new hubby hosting her own sprinkle and the invite was on FB, and now a co-ed party with a list of things for the guys and girls. Do not wrap gifts, guys bring diapers and $20 for poker, etc.

Also it drives me crazy when my friends think I'm over reacting to the tacky. You don't tell your guests what to do or what to buy! Thanks for letting me vent. Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
TTC#2 October 2011. June 2012 diagnosed with mild PCOS and both tubes blocked.
10/1/12 miracle BFP 11/12/12 missed m/c (9w2d), baby stopped growing at 7 weeks
1/16/13 BFP, EDD 9/27/13, m/c 1/19/13
imagephoto rainbowleavesbadge-1_zpsa9246b63.jpg
2/12/13 BFP, EDD 10/25/13 Please stick little one
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
A stowaway on board! :)
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: How is it

• Maybe you need new friends...js
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • I'm the same way. I cannot stand it, and it drives me so crazy. My DH thinks that I'm over the top. Haha. Oh well.

My cousin's wife had her baby shower and on the invite it stated that everyone was to bring a pack of diapers---Did I? Nope. Haha. Also, when I showed up, I couldn't stop laughing. Her favors...small bottles of hand sanitizer with a little note on it that said: "Now, you can touch my baby."

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

• Loading the player...
  • imagefennyann:
    Her favors...small bottles of hand sanitizer with a little note on it that said: "Now, you can touch my baby."

Oh. My. God.

Honestly, I blame Pinterest. I can't tell you how many awful ideas I've seen neatly packaged as "the best idea ever!" and I want to comment "Noooo!!" Now awful ideas are spreading at the speed of a mouse click.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagefennyann:

Also, when I showed up, I couldn't stop laughing. Her favors...small bottles of hand sanitizer with a little note on it that said: "Now, you can touch my baby."

Well that's very blunt isn't it, lol?

• imageAurora317:
    imagefennyann:
    Her favors...small bottles of hand sanitizer with a little note on it that said: "Now, you can touch my baby."
    Oh. My. God. Honestly, I blame Pinterest. I can't tell you how many awful ideas I've seen neatly packaged as "the best idea ever!" and I want to comment "Noooo!!" Now awful ideas are spreading at the speed of a mouse click.

Also, I think as we get further and further into time, people start leaning more heavily on "this isn't the 1950's/60's" argument. So many social practices evolve, so people lump etiquette in with that fact as an excuse to disregard it. It makes me sad, really. I don't always expect everybody to be perfectly prim and proper (I'm not offended if someone takes more than 3 weeks to get me a thank you note, or if a woman's mother hosts her baby shower), but I do care if what should be basic etiquette is thrown out the window in the name of "evolution." It is *never* okay to outright request gifts from people (throwing your own shower/sprinkle) nor is it ever okay to dictate what people should spend their money on (diaper raffle, books instead of cards). Unfortunately, some people just don't get it...or don't want to get it.

• imageyomama2013:
    imagefennyann:

Also, when I showed up, I couldn't stop laughing. Her favors...small bottles of hand sanitizer with a little note on it that said: "Now, you can touch my baby."

Well that's very blunt isn't it, lol?

I know, right? I thought this was in poor taste.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

• imageRibbitGrl930:
    imageAurora317:
    imagefennyann:
    Oh. My. God. Honestly, I blame Pinterest. I can't tell you how many awful ideas I've seen neatly packaged as "the best idea ever!" and I want to comment "Noooo!!" Now awful ideas are spreading at the speed of a mouse click.

Also, I think as we get further and further into time, people start leaning more heavily on "this isn't the 1950's/60's" argument. So many social practices evolve, so people lump etiquette in with that fact as an excuse to disregard it. It makes me sad, really. I don't always expect everybody to be perfectly prim and proper (I'm not offended if someone takes more than 3 weeks to get me a thank you note, or if a woman's mother hosts her baby shower), but I do care if what should be basic etiquette is thrown out the window in the name of "evolution." It is *never* okay to outright request gifts from people (throwing your own shower/sprinkle) nor is it ever okay to dictate what people should spend their money on (diaper raffle, books instead of cards). Unfortunately, some people just don't get it...or don't want to get it.

Agreed. "It's 2013!" does not mean that we can forgo all social niceties. Etiquette exists for a reason, not so people can judge each, but to ensure the comfort of others. Doing something tacky makes others feel uncomfortable, even if "everyone in my circle" does it, because not "everyone" in that circle necessarily *does* feel the same, they're just too polite to let you know how uncomfortable you made them feel. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"