Health & Exercise

Why do my legs feel like tree trunks when I run?!

Hey girls. I used to be able to run 5-6 miles every day. Now I am only running about 3-4 if I can. My breathing is much faster and my legs feel like bricks! Is this normal? I am an ICU nurse and yesterday was really busy at work and I did not sit for the whole 12 hours. Maybe that has something to do with it? Its so annoying!

-Becky 

Re: Why do my legs feel like tree trunks when I run?!

• It's hard to say.  Were you able to run normally earlier in pregnancy?  It could be hormones, it could be fatigue from being on your feet all day, etc.

Just remember that your body is working harder while you're pregnant, so things that you could do easily may become a lot harder.  I'm a distance runner.  When I was pregnant, I could hardly run more than 5-8 miles at a time for the first 10 weeks or so.  Then, when 2nd tri started, I got a lot of energy back and was able to do longer runs again (10-13 miles).

It could just be a stage where your hormones are wonky.  You may find that a week from now it goes away.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Just a guess - maybe tight hamstrings.  All of the sudden one of my legs started feeling like cement when I ran and I didn't do anything about it.  Then it worked up my back and I had really severe pain in my upper glute.  I ended up getting a really bad knot in my glute that was due to a tight hamstring.  Once I worked that knot out, I constantly stretched my hamstrings and recovered pretty quickly.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • thank you! I am going to try and run again today, wish me luck!
  • I had a difficult time in my 1st trimester, but am now at 33 weeks and running feels so good! Keep it up as long as you can!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"