Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Sleep training question

I just started trying some sleep training with my little guy.  He was actually sleeping in our bed and waking up multiple times a night (sometimes at least every hour) so something had to be done. It went much better than I expected for getting him to sleep in the crib. He cried for under 5 minutes for the three nights we worked on it. I did put him to sleep an hour later than normally so he would be pretty tired though.

I am just curious what everyone has done for the middle of the night feedings/wakenings. He still eats a few times at night.   Usually I would just nurse him in bed (he would eat very little) and then he would fall back asleep (some wakings after a few sucks, some after 5 minutes of eating, etc).  Do many of you still do the middle of the night feedings and then put them back in the crib asleep (my little guy ALWAYS wakes up this way) or do you let them CIO in the middle of the night to eventually end the middle of the night wakening/feeding? Do you feed and then put them in the crib awake to put themself to sleep? I'm not sure if I have it in me to let him CIO in the middle of the night and I only was able to let him CIO the last 3 nights while falling asleep as it was for under 5 minutes.  The past three nights I have just brought him to bed with me when the 3 am wakeup hit, but I would like to work on getting him to stay in the crib the entire night.  I feel bad not feeding him, but the pedi said he does not need it at this age (he is only in the 39th percentile though) and only eats as it is available.  Any advice is appreciated!!  TIA!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Sleep training question

• Options
    ksuttksutt member
    Eating in the MOTN can become a habit for babies, so they may do it even if they don't need it. We did CIO around 4 1/2 or 5 months. I let DD cry for about 15 min then went to her room and briefly rubbed her tummy/told her I loved her, but I never picked her up. When I left she initially cried harder, but she knew I was still around. Then I stretched it to 30 min / and did the same. It ended up being about 1 1/2 2 hours of crying, and trust me, it was terrible, but it was just that one night. After that she started sleeping 7:30 7:30 she'd been getting up 2 3 times per night prior
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"